Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the general thought on this? I just recieved some Zipp B2 bars (224g 46cm - 26.0) and have noticed that some have not taped the flat tops of thier carbon bars.
I guess if you wear gloves, wich I do you will be fine.

But just wondering others thoughts. I know that on the FSA K-Force Wing bars, that they are too wide on top and you run out of tape.

Going to mount them with my new Campy Chorus stuff due to arrive this weekend or late next week.

·
Registered
37 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
What's the general thought on this? I just recieved some Zipp B2 bars (224g 46cm - 26.0) and have noticed that some have not taped the flat tops of thier carbon bars.
I guess if you wear gloves, wich I do you will be fine.

But just wondering others thoughts. I know that on the FSA K-Force Wing bars, that they are too wide on top and you run out of tape.

Going to mount them with my new Campy Chorus stuff due to arrive this weekend or late next week.
I have the FSA K-Wing and the tops and corners untaped. It looks better and I have no issues about gripping the tops with gloves on or off (Of course I always ride with gloves). But if you sweat profusely, I'd recommend taping them up. With carbon bars just be careful not to ding the corners of your bars...of course if you crash, they would really get dinged, scratched, chipped, or worst, cracked.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
Dude, don't wrap the tops 'cuz it'll look stoopid and everyone will laugh at you...

...just kidding :D

There's really no right or wrong with this one - I have K-Wings and did not wrap past the 'elbow,' but that's only because I prefer the looks and don't really use the tops of the bars that much except when I'm sitting up riding easy. If I gripped the tops more at a harder pace, then I would probably tape there because the bare bar can become slippery - gloves or no gloves.

·
Registered
41 Posts
taping tops

i have the k wing on both my raod bikes and have left the tops untaped for all the reasons mentioned. my only advice - don't try to rest by placing your forearms on the flat tops for a moment. i have heard that can be dangerous :)

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, if you don't wrap the tops and use use Campy...

what about the cables? Just use a clear tape and expose the cables? I see it on a shiamno bike, but on the campy rides, does the bar tape not concel the cables? Or the the cables not go that far across the bar??

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
what about the cables? Just use a clear tape and expose the cables? I see it on a shiamno bike, but on the campy rides, does the bar tape not concel the cables? Or the the cables not go that far across the bar??
Bars that aren't meant to be taped have internal cable routing, it sounds like the zipps are supposed to be taped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
FTF said:
Bars that aren't meant to be taped have internal cable routing, it sounds like the zipps are supposed to be taped.
Yes...I totally agree...since my K-Wing has internal cable routing, it's not necessary to tape the tops unless you sweat a lot or frequently ride in the rain.

To the OP, with your Zipp bar, yes, tape them up since you'll be using Campy shifters and it will look better then having the cables exposed or having adhesive tape secure them. I like using electrical tape and tape your bar however close to the stem you like...usually 1-2 inchs should be good. It's up to you. There's no right or wrong way to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts