Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Steel frame? It's not as easy as just drilling/tapping a hole in the frame. You have to have a "boss" or threaded block brazed onto the frame. The frame tube is not thick enough to hold a threaded bolt (think about trying to tighten a screw in the side of a pop can - not enough wall material/it strips out.) Once you start brazing on the frame the paint is gone and you're looking at a new spray job as well. Carbon or Alum frames are a dif. can o' worms and require dif. treatments. My appologies if you already knew all of that.

Frame builder or shop in S. Ohio that does brazing/welding/repairs? Nope. The only bike shop I'd trust to do something like this is Steve Willis/The Bike Stand or similar shop. Bad news is, he's in New Jersey: http://www.thebikestand.com/index.html (click on the link "frame building & repair.") No similar shops in Ohio that braze/weld - it's a dying art for bike shops. Here's a long shot - call Bikewise in Oxford Ohio (513.523.4880) and talk to Doug Hamilton (the owner.) His shop does not do this work but there's an outside chance Doug might know someone in the area qualified to do decent frame repair work. He's a pretty serious bike guy, collects Paramounts (rides a beautiful restored chrome Paramount fixie) etc.

Bottom line, it's not as simple as making a couple holes. If you've got a nice ride it might be worth the effort. If you have an entry off-the-rack it might not be worth the effort or cash. Hope this help, hope I didn't just throw out junk you already know. Good luck with it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.