Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My wife happened to ride through some fresh tar this evening and got a little bit on her tire. (Just a 1-2" section on the front tire) The tires are Specialized Fat Boys for what it's worth. I used some simple green and a soft-scrub sponge and managed to get most of it off. There's still a thin layer of the sticky stuff. Are there any tips for dissolving tar without damaging the tires? Anyone have any experience with this? I'm guessing that the remainder will just wear off from normal riding, but I was curious if there's a product that works well for this situation as I'm sure it's going to happen again. Thanks in advance!

- Bill

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
No need

BillyK said:
My wife happened to ride through some fresh tar this evening and got a little bit on her tire. (Just a 1-2" section on the front tire) The tires are Specialized Fat Boys for what it's worth. I used some simple green and a soft-scrub sponge and managed to get most of it off. There's still a thin layer of the sticky stuff. Are there any tips for dissolving tar without damaging the tires? Anyone have any experience with this? I'm guessing that the remainder will just wear off from normal riding, but I was curious if there's a product that works well for this situation as I'm sure it's going to happen again.
Realistically, you can get off what you need to get off with a screwdriver blade tip. The rest will just wear off. Any citrus cleaner plus elbow grease. Stay away from organic solvents because they are not good for the rubber.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Realistically, you can get off what you need to get off with a screwdriver blade tip. The rest will just wear off. Any citrus cleaner plus elbow grease. Stay away from organic solvents because they are not good for the rubber.

Thanks for the advice Kerry. Looking at it this morning, it's just a thin layer. I think I'll wait and see if it wears off from normal riding.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
...Stay away from organic solvents because they are not good for the rubber.
Generally agree with that, BUT I will still use Odorless Mineral Spirits (aka, Stoddard Solvent or paint thinner) to remove gunk. Seems a pretty mild solvent, never noticed any tire deterioration. I do subsequently wipe off the OMS with rag + water + maybe Simple Green ... the water/soap rinse may be a "feel good" placebo, as whatever solvent is going to be absorbed by rubber will have done so.

Definitely DON'T use acetone, laquer thinner, xylene, toluene, gasoline, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts