Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just posted my dream shattering experience of owning an S Works SL2 frameset in another discussion, so now I am asking peoples opinion on the Tarmac Expert with the Ultegra SL and the 8r carbon, my question is this, I have ridden the S Works SL2 with the 11r carbon and it impressed me greatly, the stiffness in the BB was awesome, I am wondering would the 8r carbon be hugely more flexible in the BB area, or just slightly that you don't notice? I will be on a 61cm frame.

I can buy the Tarmac Expert as a complete bike cheaper than the SW SL2 frameset.

cheers

Ralph

·
Registered
282 Posts
no you probably wont feel any flex at all, even the fact 6 tarmac is super stiff, it seems to me theres no compromise in stiffness on the tarmac, its just the higher up you go the less harsh it is, i think youll be more than happy with the expert

·
3,494 Posts
Have you considered the Tarmac Pro SL frameset? You get 10r carbon, and it is almost as stiff and almost as light as the SL2 frameset. Your dollar amounts in the other thread don't match the US dollar amounts on the Specialized web-site, so presumably these are not US dollars that you are talking. The Pro SL frameset is about half the price of the Tarmac Expert complete bike. You can build it up to a better spec than the Expert for about the same total money, and you get to choose everything for yourself.

Perhaps the problem is that bikes are on the floor are discounted and the LBS is very keen to move them, while framesets have to be special ordered and the LBS is trying to discourage you. Perhaps you need to try a different LBS?

Anyway, the Expert is a great bike too and if that is what you end up with, you will be happy. One of my rules when looking at bikes is not to ride bikes that are wildly out of my budget!! I can honestly say that my Tarmac Pro SL is the best bike that I have ever ridden, partly because of this rule!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an '08 S-Works Tarmac SL and an '08 Tarmac Expert. My riding during the week is done from about 5:30 a.m. - 7:30 a.m., so I bought the Expert used and set it up for riding in the dark. I ride the SL on weekends during daylight hours. In any event, I live in the mountains in Utah - every ride ends with a very steep 2 mile climb back home (of course, they all start with a very steep 2 mile descent).

I'm 180 lbs. and have been able to flex every frame I have ever had - steel, early model carbon, and Ti, until the Tarmacs. I cannot flex either frame and I cannot tell the difference between stiffness between the SL and the Expert, even when I slog up the mountain back home after every ride. I can tell the difference in is the components. The SL is primarily Dura Ace (except the crank), while the Expert is Ultegra. Both work well, but the DA brakes are certainly stronger, and the DA shifting is noticeably more crisp. I have also had other DA and Ultegra groups in the past, and the DA components have outlasted the Ultegra by many years. I suspect that if you go with the Expert instead of the SL2, you will not be disappointed in the frame, but the difference in the components and wheels will be noticeable. Still, for waaayyyy less money, the Expert is a very nice ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts