Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am studying the Tarmac Expert frames at the Specialized website. The regular Ultegra version and the Rival version of the Expert model are stated built with the 8r frame.

However, the Tarmac Expert Compact frame is stated built with the 6r frame. Is this true or is this a mistake? I'm not sure why the frame would be downgraded on the Compact model, without a price decrease. Is the Tarmac Expert Compact actually built with the 6r frame or the 8r frame?

Edited for clarity: If I click on the "features" section for the Tarmac Expert Compact frame, it states it is built with the 6r frame. If I click on the "technical specifications" section for the Tarmac Expert Compact frame, it states it is built with the 8r frame, adding to my confusion.

Can anyone clear this up once and for all?

·
Registered
545 Posts
be careful

i noticed that too..

you better be darn sure of that as the frames ride qualities are way different!!!

the Expert frame with AZ1 construction (split seatstay) is MILES better than the 6r construction (monostay).

ask the dealer to clarify, and put HIS word on it that it is exactly what you are asking for, maybe even get it in writing??

specialized might be trying to clear out some old 6r frames before the switch to the new SL2 moulds..

hope this helps

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does help a lot, I think it is always a good idea to be cautious. Here's a question: doesn't Specialized, like most bike companies, put a decal on their road bikes specifying exactly which frame material you are getting?

For example, Trek puts "OCLV" on their better carbon fiber road bikes. Wouldn't Specialized put "8r" on a frame if it was so, and "6r" on that particular build?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
a_avery007 said:
i noticed that too..

you better be darn sure of that as the frames ride qualities are way different!!!

the Expert frame with AZ1 construction (split seatstay) is MILES better than the 6r construction (monostay).

ask the dealer to clarify, and put HIS word on it that it is exactly what you are asking for, maybe even get it in writing??

specialized might be trying to clear out some old 6r frames before the switch to the new SL2 moulds..

hope this helps
Unless you've done extensive test rides of both 6r and 8r frames (same bike fit, same route, conditions, wheelsets, tires/ pressures), this is nothing more than your opinion. And even if you had done the testing, it would still be your opinion without the use of precision instruments and documentation supporting your findings.

The AZ1 construction also is monocoque, but the manufacturing process differs slightly resulting in a stiffer, lighter frame, but not by much. Some of which is due to the different carbon modulus used - 6r (240 GPa) versus 8r (294 GPa). For comparison, the Tarmac SL is rated at 390 GPa, substantially stiffer (higher modulus).

And BTW, none of this has anything to do with split or mono seatstays. The type of construction didn't dictate them, the designers did.

Finally, if you're talking '08's, 6r Experts don't exist. They're all 8r, if any are still left, that is.

·
Registered
545 Posts
and you know what about my test rides?

PJ352 said:
Unless you've done extensive test rides of both 6r and 8r frames (same bike fit, same route, conditions, wheelsets, tires/ pressures), this is nothing more than your opinion. And even if you had done the testing, it would still be your opinion without the use of precision instruments and documentation supporting your findings.

The AZ1 construction also is monocoque, but the manufacturing process differs slightly resulting in a stiffer, lighter frame, but not by much. Some of which is due to the different carbon modulus used - 6r (240 GPa) versus 8r (294 GPa). For comparison, the Tarmac SL is rated at 390 GPa, substantially stiffer (higher modulus).

And BTW, none of this has anything to do with split or mono seatstays. The type of construction didn't dictate them, the designers did.

Finally, if you're talking '08's, 6r Experts don't exist. They're all 8r, if any are still left, that is.
that's right not much!!

oh it's you again?? should have figured..denial is a river man...

tested both bikes with mavic K SL's with conti GP's at 110psi, with same post and saddle, obviously not same exact drivetrain nor handlebars and tape.

have ridden both frames on some extensive climbs, on the same rides in the 40-60 mile range (2000ft of climbing), 2X, and yes it is very noticable!!

the mention of the stays is just to help the person identify the frame, as usually they are of different construction.

don't really care what you label the carbon: t-800, 8r, 1000R Ultrahighmodulushighnanotechnology, whatever....they ride different period.

if you cant tell the difference between the elite, the tarmac sl and the sl2 that is your opinion, i just stated that i can tell the difference quite easily.

yes i know stiff brother, have owned a scott cr1 and ridden an Cervelo R3..

hope this helps clarify some things...

and gee that Elite sure does look eerily similar to a PF frame, which i would not call all that stiff..lol;-)

·
Registered
603 Posts
PJ352 said:
Unless you've done extensive test rides of both 6r and 8r frames (same bike fit, same route, conditions, wheelsets, tires/ pressures), this is nothing more than your opinion...
Since we're talking ancedotal evidence here, I would like comment that I also found the 8r frame to have a much nicer ride than the 6r frame with the same tire pressure and tires. :D

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
a_avery007 said:
that's right not much!!

tested both bikes with mavic K SL's with conti GP's at 110psi, with same post and saddle, obviously not same exact drivetrain nor handlebars and tape.

have ridden both frames on some extensive climbs, on the same rides in the 40-60 mile range (2000ft of climbing), 2X, and yes it is very noticable!!

the mention of the stays is just to help the person identify the frame, as usually they are of different construction.

don't really care what you label the carbon: t-800, 8r, 1000R Ultrahighmodulushighnanotechnology, whatever....they ride different period.

if you cant tell the difference between the elite, the tarmac sl and the sl2 that is your opinion, i just stated that i can tell the difference quite easily.

yes i know stiff brother, have owned a scott cr1 and ridden an Cervelo R3..

hope this helps clarify some things...

and gee that Elite sure does look eerily similar to a PF frame, which i would not call all that stiff..lol;-)
Everything you've posted did nothing more than substantiate my claim that you are posting your opinions, not fact. Obviously you're entitled to do so, but to avoid misleading anyone, it would be nice to see IMO on occasion rather than stating 'facts' as you see them.

That, in sum total was my point, which you obviously missed.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
PaulRivers said:
Since we're talking ancedotal evidence here, I would like comment that I also found the 8r frame to have a much nicer ride than the 6r frame with the same tire pressure and tires. :D
Yes, and you posted that recently in another thread. (Key) difference being, you presented it clearly as your opinion/ observation/ experiences. Avery made some statements that were inaccurate, misleading and some, just plain wrong - all covered in my response.

·
Registered
603 Posts
PJ352 said:
Yes, and you posted that recently in another thread. (Key) difference being, you presented it clearly as your opinion/ observation/ experiences. Avery made some statements that were inaccurate, misleading and some, just plain wrong - all covered in my response.
Yup! I wasn't trying to disagree with anyone, just trying to add in my own personal, ancedotal experience in this thread. :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
this is becoming comedy...

PJ352 said:
Everything you've posted did nothing more than substantiate my claim that you are posting your opinions, not fact. Obviously you're entitled to do so, but to avoid misleading anyone, it would be nice to see IMO on occasion rather than stating 'facts' as you see them.

That, in sum total was my point, which you obviously missed.

i already showed you the facts in black and white, (RED and BLACK) many times over in the Trek forum, but you kept spouting off about TCT treks, which are below the new Madone's in every conceivable way (and older SSL's), but yet you insist they must be stiffer!! sure, Contador is going to ride the lower level frame-you are delusional. he rides the BEST frame Trek can provide him with bar none!

according to Specialized's site, the frames get stiffer as one goes up the ladder, from monocoque'd 6R version to the 8R AZ1 version and the FACT 11R IS construction..Tour tests and in house Specialized's prove it-PERIOD!!!
not subjective, not my opinion-FACT. and if you don't believe it go the Specy's site and read the FACT bit on carbon, yes, that is right chap, they don't even list the 6r frame, as it would not even register where the BMC frame is or they would have put it there, and marketed as being better. better to sell more bikes better..

don't take my word for it, ask other people, talk to some racers, leave the net surfing and go ride then form an opinion. but still look to objective lab results to either verify claims or refute them-as i already have..

el fin de la storia....

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
a_avery007 said:
...read the FACT bit on carbon, yes, that is right chap, they don't even list the 6r frame
I have read it, along with other documents relating to FACT carbon. Here's the one I used as reference in my previous post (covers 6r carbon and up)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/specialized/2006/FACT_Final_opt-1.pdf

What I did in the Trek forum, I'm doing here. That is, taking you to task for the drivel you present as facts. And I'll continue to do so as long as you continue.

Post when you know and refrain when you don't know. You'll be posting a lot less.

·
Registered
545 Posts
now use your deductive superpowers and figure it out..

PJ352 said:
What I did in the Trek forum, I'm doing here. That is, taking you to task for the drivel you present as facts. And I'll continue to do so as long as you continue.

Post when you know and refrain when you don't know. You'll be posting a lot less.

all the Treks and Specialized's:

http://www.fiets.nl/uploads/stijfheidsmetingen/0612.htm

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Tarmac

click on FACT link....

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2005&sid=05Tarmac

click on the link: Taking the Witchcraft Out of Composite Bicycle Frame

Tour Test 08..
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40266&start=0

now, if i have to create a comparison and contrast chart for you...
nahhhhhh..

all the bikes, all the objective tests for your eyeballs to fall out..

i will simplify it for you in Terms of Specialized's bike frames- more $$$ more stiffness, better riding frame..

one more time, more $$$ more stiffness, better riding frame..

nice sounding drivel that..:)

·
Registered
545 Posts
NO NO NO- what you did Slick is

"have read it, along with other documents relating to FACT carbon. Here's the one I used as reference in my previous post (covers 6r carbon and up)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/...inal_opt-1.pdf"

use the FACT sheet that does NOT state NOR compare the Specialized FACT 6r carbon frame, triple monocoque construction, compact race design to the stiffness of the Specialized FACT 8r carbon frame, AZ1 construction, compact race design

way way different Specialized FACT 8r carbon frame, Az1 construction, compact race design to Specialized FACT 6r carbon frame, triple monocoque construction, compact race design ..
yes not only different fibers but different lay up schedules...

i am done with this..let the people decide on their own.
glad you like your bike, it is a good one!!

have a great day...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good grief Sky! How many bikes do plan on buying? Madones, and now Tarmacs? Are you building up to post on the "How Many bikes do you own" thread? hehehehe...What you really ought to be doing is buying the frame you want, and order the components you want. Build it, tweak it, or have your LBS do it. It's infinitely more satisfying to build your own, imho. See you on the "how many bikes do you own" thread soon...hehehe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.