Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the market for a road bike and believe I've decided on the Tarmac Pro w/SRAM Red. I've been quoted a price of $4200 for the 2011 and they will be in stock Sept. My LBS also has a 2010 Tarmac Pro that they would sell for $3800 ($200 discount). The main difference is the 2011 has the SL3 frame vs. 2010 is SL2. Wheels are different, 2011 has Roval Fusee SL vs. 2010 has Mavic Ksyrium Elite.

Do you think the $400 difference is worth going for the 2011? By the way, the 2010 is the Carbon color. The 2011 comes in White/Red/Black or Black/Blue.

2010 Carbon:


2011 White/Red/Black:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,494 Posts
Do you have the opportunity to compare the two frames side-by-side in detail to see how they differ? I'm curious as to what the real visible differences are between these two frames. The head tube shaping looks a little different, but that might be the picture angle. The 2010 Pro is not the same as an SL-2 frame either - as far as I am aware, it is the same as the Pro SL frame from 2009 (which is what I have).

Other than frame and the wheels, it looks like a toss-up. Is the lower price and the quicker availability meaningful to you? If not, I'd be tempted to wait and get the 2011 just to get the next model year. Or base the decision on looks alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the opportunity to compare the bikes currently. The 2011's are not due to my LBS until Sept. I tried using the image from the Specialized site for the 2011 but couldn't get it to work. Here is the link to compare, just select Pro SRAM. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=11Tarmac&eid=4350&menuItemId=9256

You could be right, I might be misrepresenting the 2010 as an SL2. The 2011 is an SL3 and Specialized says in their literature it is stiffer and lighter, for whatever that is worth. If it is the same SL3 mold that the S-Works has then I believe there is a revised headtube and fork. I believe I read that somewhere.

I don't have to have a bike right away, but don't really want to miss out on a good deal. I've been leaning towards getting the 2011 since it is the newest model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
MondoRock said:
I'm in the market for a road bike and believe I've decided on the Tarmac Pro w/SRAM Red. I've been quoted a price of $4200 for the 2011 and they will be in stock Sept. My LBS also has a 2010 Tarmac Pro that they would sell for $3800 ($200 discount). The main difference is the 2011 has the SL3 frame vs. 2010 is SL2. Wheels are different, 2011 has Roval Fusee SL vs. 2010 has Mavic Ksyrium Elite.

Do you think the $400 difference is worth going for the 2011? By the way, the 2010 is the Carbon color. The 2011 comes in White/Red/Black or Black/Blue.

2010 Carbon:


2011 White/Red/Black:
Here is the Black/Blue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
MondoRock said:
I don't have the opportunity to compare the bikes currently. The 2011's are not due to my LBS until Sept. I tried using the image from the Specialized site for the 2011 but couldn't get it to work. Here is the link to compare, just select Pro SRAM. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=11Tarmac&eid=4350&menuItemId=9256

You could be right, I might be misrepresenting the 2010 as an SL2. The 2011 is an SL3 and Specialized says in their literature it is stiffer and lighter, for whatever that is worth. If it is the same SL3 mold that the S-Works has then I believe there is a revised headtube and fork. I believe I read that somewhere.

I don't have to have a bike right away, but don't really want to miss out on a good deal. I've been leaning towards getting the 2011 since it is the newest model.
You guys are both right, as far as I am concerned. Both the 09 and the 2010 Pro SL frames use the same moulds as the SL2, and thus have the same design. However, they both use 10r carbon, as opposed to the SL2, which uses the 11r carbon.

I had an 09 SL and loved it. Due to a warranty issue, I now have on 09 SL2 S-Works, and love it too. I've ridden the S-Works SL3 and, personally, didn't feel too much difference, FWIW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
adamssss said:
go with the 2011 sl3 bike. and i'm sure that you could get a better price than that. where are you from?
I am in the Dallas, Texas area. What price do you think I could get the 2011 for?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,494 Posts
MondoRock said:
I am in the Dallas, Texas area. What price do you think I could get the 2011 for?
At the beginning of the model year and if the bike is sitting on the shop floor, I'd be looking for 10% off MSRP. This is close to the dealer minimum price that Specialized sets. It can be harder to negotiate if you have to special order the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
2010 Pro

I've got the 2010 pro with the flat black. I really liked the look. It's about 15.5 lbs with pedals and bottle cages and stiff. I switched to Dura Ace tubeless wheels to smooth out the ride. The msrp was $4400 and could be had for $4000 around here. I think the switch to Roval wheels for the 2011's may be a downgrade. You may get a better deal if the 2010 is still around when the 2011's hit town.
 

·
mattpnewell
Joined
·
86 Posts
ukbloke said:
At the beginning of the model year and if the bike is sitting on the shop floor, I'd be looking for 10% off MSRP. This is close to the dealer minimum price that Specialized sets. It can be harder to negotiate if you have to special order the bike.
why would you expect a shop drop a price on a brand new model and brand new bike, when stock isn't even great. just saying, not the best approach to take.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a comparison of the 2010 and 2011 Tarmac Pro w/SRAM (from the Specialized website). Thanks for all of the great feedback!

2010
Frame Specialized Tarmac SL FACT 10r carbon, 1.5" lower HS bearing
Fork Tarmac full FACT carbon monocoque, OS race for 1.5" bearing
Headset Aheadset Stainless Race Steel Balls w/ top cap w/ 20mm of spacers
Stem Specialized Pro-Set, 3D forged 7050 aluminum, 4-position adjustable, 4-bolt 31.8mm clamp
Handlebars S-Works SL Ergo Carb
Tape Specialized Pro D2
Brakes SRAM Force
Brake Levers SRAM Red
Front Derailleur SRAM Force
Rear Derailleur SRAM Red
Shift Levers SRAM Red
Cassette Shimano Ultegra, 10-speed, 11-28t
Chain KMC X10 CP
Crankset Specialized Pro Crankset 53x3
Chainrings 53 x 39T
Bottom Bracket With Crankset
Wheels Mavic Kysrium Elite
Tires SW Mondo 700x23c, Kevlar bead, 127TPI , w/ Flak Jacket protection
Saddle Body Geometry Toupe w/ hollow Ti rai
Seatpost Specialized FACT carbon w/ Zertz insert, 27.2mm
Seat Binder Alloy, 32.6mm clamp


2011
Frame Specialized FACT 10r carbon, 1.5" lower HS bearing, OSBB
Fork Specialized FACT carbon full monocoque, OS race for 1.5" bea
Headset 1 1/8 upper and 1 1/5" lower Cr-Mo cartridge bearings integrated w/ headset, carbon 8mm cone spacer and 20mm of carbon spacers
Stem Specialized Pro-Set, 3D forged 7050 aluminum, 4-position adjustable, 4-bolt 31.8mm clamp
Handlebars Specialized Pro SL Carbon, classic bend
Tape Specialized Pro D2
Brakes TRP 870 Equipe, forged aluminum, cartridge pads
Brake Levers SRAM Red
Front Derailleur SRAM Force
Rear Derailleur SRAM Red
Shift Levers SRAM Red
Cassette Shimano Ultegra, 10-speed, 11-28t
Chain KMC X10 L CP
Crankset Specialized Pro FACT carbon
Chainrings 52 x 36T
Bottom Bracket With Crankset
Wheels Roval Fusee SL
Tires S-Works Turbo, 700x23c, Aramid bead, 220TPI w/ Black Belt protection
Saddle Body Geometry Romin Expert w/ hollow Ti rail
Seatpost Specialized Pro, FACT carbon w/ Zertz insert
Seat Binder Forged alloy, 32.6mm
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
69 Posts
just ordered my girlfriend's bike 2011 spec ruby pro msrp $5000 got it for 3700 no tax. people have to stop believing that 10% is the standard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
adamssss said:
just ordered my girlfriend's bike 2011 spec ruby pro msrp $5000 got it for 3700 no tax. people have to stop believing that 10% is the standard.
So your dealer gave you 26% off MSRP on a 2011 bike??? And if your buying in your home state of NY, the dealer is also going to pay your state sales tax of $200 - $260???

What a awesome deal. It sounds to good to be true, so I can't help but wonder if there is a little more story to this deal???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
adamssss said:
just ordered my girlfriend's bike 2011 spec ruby pro msrp $5000 got it for 3700 no tax. people have to stop believing that 10% is the standard.
If this is real please p.m. the dealer you used in NY. I'm looking at paying msrp for a 2011.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,494 Posts
avalnch33 said:
why would you expect a shop drop a price on a brand new model and brand new bike, when stock isn't even great. just saying, not the best approach to take.
In my experience with 2 Specialized dealers they were happy to show me the dealer price list and give me the Specialized minimum pricing. This was on new model year bikes that had arrived within the last month or two, and on a special order frame. There didn't seem to be any possibility of a lower price with either of those dealers in that situation. I do think that there's a general expectation to not pay full MSRP for bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
Believe!

I got great deals on both the Specialized bikes I bought this year. Both 2010's, both before the 2011's, both well below msrp,and from different dealers. The 2010 Pro may be a good deal at $3800 but if someone wants to gamble and wait that price may go lower as the 2011's arrive.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
69 Posts
gtpharr said:
So your dealer gave you 26% off MSRP on a 2011 bike??? And if your buying in your home state of NY, the dealer is also going to pay your state sales tax of $200 - $260???

What a awesome deal. It sounds to good to be true, so I can't help but wonder if there is a little more story to this deal???
nope thats the story. well in march 2010, i got a 2010 tarmac comp for 2000 flat. just waiting on my girlfriends bike now. they said 2 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
I modified the looks on my 2011 Tarmac Pro. Baby neon blue is just not my color. Can I get your feedback? I am also waiting for my 0 Gravity Nerd limited Edition Brakes in Anodized Red

I finally got the bike weighed yesterday and it came in at 14.54 w all the components I have including pedals and Garmin Edge 500.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top