Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there really a noticeable ride difference between an S-Works Tarmac frame and the Tarmac Pro frame. Specialized shows that S-Works carbon is 11R, and the Pro is 10R. I can’t imagine there would be a real difference. I believe the forks are the same on both bikes

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
You might notice it if your Peter Sagan, but I'm a mere mortal :) Most people buy the S-WORKs for the logo.
Skills aside, cycling is unique in that it gives those with means an easy way to distinguish themselves since the barrier to entry for certain kinds of equipment is high. On a basketball court, for example, most people can wear the most expensive s-works sneaker equivalent. However, not everyone can splash out on an s-works frame/bike.

Specialized - I'm sure - has plenty of white papers highlighting differences in real world testing, whether you'll be able to discern them for yourself is is up to you.

I suppose I'm guilty of this myself. I'm sure the SLR02 is plenty capable but SLR01 is just that much sexier when I pull my fat arse up to the shop.

Reactions: mik_git

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Does Specialized even advertise an improved ride or just lighter weight? Most companies claim their lower carbon has the same properties as their top frame but at an increase of 200ish grams.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
It would be interesting to see some experienced cyclists ride the two frames w/ identical groups, PSI, saddles, etc. and see if they could tell a difference.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I can't comment on these two bikes but I own an entry Tarmac with 9R carbon and a Felt F2 with a higher end frame. The Felt is lighter and it does have a nicer quality to the ride. Smooths out more road buzz and more fun to ride. Not to say the Tarmac is terrible, it's not.The Felt just has an edge. I will comment to the fact one is not faster than the other and I alternate because I enjoy both bikes and don't regret buying either one. The difference in the two bikes your looking at may be negligible but the S Works down the tube is worth something to certain people.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Is there really a noticeable ride difference between an S-Works Tarmac frame and the Tarmac Pro frame. Specialized shows that S-Works carbon is 11R, and the Pro is 10R. I can’t imagine there would be a real difference. I believe the forks are the same on both bikes
If you somehow manage to test both, let us know if you can feel difference. I have my doubts, but maybe it can be felt?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
S-Works = 11R
Tarmac Pro = 10R

Mathematically speaking, if 11R - 10R = 1R, then the S-Works rides 1R better than the Tarmac Pro.

Also, note that the S-Works is lighter by virtue of having fewer letters in the logo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sure something is different, but probably not discernible.

I myself went with a Tarmac Pro when I bought one and it's been a great bike.

Does anyone but myself get irritated that more and more big brand don't list their bike or frame weights anymore? Seriously, that's one of the biggest selling points, and they don't even say anything.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm sure something is different, but probably not discernible.

I myself went with a Tarmac Pro when I bought one and it's been a great bike.

Does anyone but myself get irritated that more and more big brand don't list their bike or frame weights anymore? Seriously, that's one of the biggest selling points, and they don't even say anything.
Maybe they found consumers are more concerned with comfort features now? Just speculating, if they aren't marketing it, maybe it's not the big selling point any more? Consumer assume they are all around 1400 g or less (including fork).

Just look at Trek with all their comfort features in the seatpost/stays and steerer/headtube.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts