Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've been following these forums for a good couple of months now and a first time poster. About me: I'm 26 years old. Currently I'm only a weekend warrior and I do rides between 50-60 miles on mostly tarmac with a small mix of dirt and gravel roads.

I'm shopping for my first real road bike and have narrowed it down to the ever long debate of the Tarmac vs the Roubaix. There are countless threads that I've gone over regarding this topic already so this is not what this post is about, and I apologize for starting yet another one, however I really could not find any good information regarding these bikes in their disc brake models and maximum tire size.

It appears that disc brakes can accommodate larger size tires vs caliper brakes. From what I can see, it appears that the standard tire size for the Tarmac is about 23-25c and the standard tire size for the Roubaix is 25-28c. Both of the caliper and disc style brakes come in these sizes on Specialized's website for these bikes.

My first question is to the owners of the Tarmac and Roubaix equipped with disc brakes. Can the Tarmac disc comfortably fit 28c tires? Can the Roubaix disc comfortably fit 30c tires?

My second question is to Tarmac owners. How does this bike fare for the occasional dirt and gravel roads?

Any comments appreciated in guiding a newbie towards his new bike. :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts