Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two guys on my team are riding white 09 SL's. Neither has ever crashed. One of these bikes, after being ridden only a handful of times, had a crank/hole in the right side seat stay. It was towards the top of the stay, and facing upward. It was about half a cm large, and you could flex the seat stay quite a bit at that point with your hand with little effort.

The other bike, which had been ridden in about 8 races and numerous training rides already, had a crack on the non drive bottom bracket (frame). It wasn't too deep, almost looked like it was just through the paint, but it was at least an inch long, and makes noise when pedaling.

Anyone else hear stories like this? I'm skeptical about getting one now. Specialized is obviously sending new frames since its a warranty issue, but theyre pretty low on colors/sizes right now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That would be awesome if Specialized upgraded them to a SL2 for cheap. I haven't had any problems with my SL, nor have any of my teammates. I think as a total there are 30 09 SLs on the team, no issues reported.

·
3,494 Posts
david462 said:
Anyone else hear stories like this? I'm skeptical about getting one now. Specialized is obviously sending new frames since its a warranty issue, but theyre pretty low on colors/sizes right now.
All products have a failure rate. This may be just bad luck or might be a sign of a bad batch of frames. If Specialized are handling this the right way (warranty replacement on their dime), IMHO this is a good reason to stick with that brand. Often the warranty is technically voided when one races, though a non-racing-related failure mode would perhaps be a grey area.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ukbloke said:
All products have a failure rate. This may be just bad luck or might be a sign of a bad batch of frames. If Specialized are handling this the right way (warranty replacement on their dime), IMHO this is a good reason to stick with that brand. Often the warranty is technically voided when one races, though a non-racing-related failure mode would perhaps be a grey area.
well im still skeptical on buying one myself since 2 of the 8 or so frames that I know of have had major problems.

yeah I know Specialized is handling this, but right now one of the guys is racing on a cross bike for a few months until he gets a new tarmac and the other is racing someones old bike thats too small. I dont want to be in that situation.

·
3,494 Posts
david462 said:
well im still skeptical on buying one myself since 2 of the 8 or so frames that I know of have had major problems.

yeah I know Specialized is handling this, but right now one of the guys is racing on a cross bike for a few months until he gets a new tarmac and the other is racing someones old bike thats too small. I dont want to be in that situation.
Fair enough, though it seems to me that crashes and mechanicals are part of racing. One always needs a servicable back-up bike to avoid down-time. Actually, if I was racing I think I'd be racing the back-up bike in the first place ... it would be different if someone else was paying for the bike of course!

So what bikes are you looking at instead?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts