·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from one review:

Strengths:
Does it all well with great comfort

Weaknesses:
On occasion the rear feels soft. Gives the feeling that I have a flat rear tire when I don't. I haven't figured out a pattern as to when I feel it, but it happens often and teammates have described similar experiences.

Anyone felt this? I demoed a Tarmac only briefly.

·
3,494 Posts
framesti said:
Weaknesses: On occasion the rear feels soft
What Tarmac frame and what year was being reviewed? Specialized make Tarmacs ranging in price from about $2K to about $10K, and the frames get significantly stiffer as one spends more money. They also make incremental improvements year to year. I have no complaints at all about my 2009 Tarmac Pro SL frameset. It seems like a perfect blend of stiffness and comfort to me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Which model were you testing? My Tarmac Pro seems very stiff to me, even out of the saddle during a hard sprint and I'm fairly heavy at 195 :confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts
my S-works SL2 is absurdly stiff while at the same time it is wonderfully compliant. I made a major upgrade from an old Trek OCLV frame to the 2008 SL2 and it was the most dramatic transition I've ever experienced with a frame upgrade. The SL2 is like a laser with regard to performance and yet it is noticeably more comfortable than my old Trek with out being "soft" at all. I have no complaints about this frame at all and the ride is very lively and responsive.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
framesti said:
This is from one review:

Strengths:
Does it all well with great comfort

Weaknesses:
On occasion the rear feels soft. Gives the feeling that I have a flat rear tire when I don't. I haven't figured out a pattern as to when I feel it, but it happens often and teammates have described similar experiences.

Anyone felt this? I demoed a Tarmac only briefly.
Some questions.
What mag/ issue?
What year/ model Tarmac?

IMO the reviewer doesn't make a lot of sense. This supposed condition happens often, but he hasn't figured out a pattern? If it happened often to me, I'd remember when I felt it. :)

Until now, I've never heard this said of the Tarmacs.

·
3,494 Posts
It is the second review (currently) on this page by azdroptop. The review is for a 2007 S-Works Tarmac SL. In fact that review as a whole is very positive with a 4 and 5 star rating, as are almost all of the reviews of the Tarmac on this web site (and there's over at least 100 of them). I'm not sure why the OP picked this out this one. However, I did see just one really bad review while scanning through, coincidentally on that same page, from Justinr who had a bad experience and a warranty problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
not sure what reviews are being referred to but the tarmac ain't "soft." I'm guessing it's more likely a tire or wheel issue that produced the perceived softness. This would especially be true if it were the Roval wheels that Specialized has speced on some of the bikes as they are crap wheelsets IMO. Get a good wheelset (I'm using DT Swiss 1450s) and you won't feel any problems with a sqooshy rear end.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
It is the second review (currently) on this page by azdroptop. The review is for a 2007 S-Works Tarmac SL. In fact that review as a whole is very positive with a 4 and 5 star rating, as are almost all of the reviews of the Tarmac on this web site (and there's over at least 100 of them). I'm not sure why the OP picked this out this one. However, I did see just one really bad review while scanning through, coincidentally on that same page, from Justinr who had a bad experience and a warranty problem.
Right. These are user reviews, so take them with a grain of salt. Justinr states his is/was an '08 Tarmac SL, even though he posted it under the '07. I'm not buying frame flex causing his problem, and the comments available point to a crank problem, which I'd buy. I have an'08 SWorks SL, but with a Dura Ace crank. Almost 8,000 miles on it, and I still love it, and appreciate it more the more I ride it. Now if we want to talk about flex, we can discuss the noodle-ness of my '06 Roubaix Expert's front fork, but I'd hardly consider my SL too soft. And considering the Pro SL is technically stiffer than mine, I can't believe being 'too comfortable' is an issue for us mere mortal cyclists.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've got an '07 Tarmac Comp, and I've never felt what the reviewer is describing. I'm a "larger" rider, at 230 lbs, and my Tarmac is a pretty stiff bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I am seconding this negative opinion. I ride a Roubaix, which I can describe as he described the Tarmac...squishy, soft, and lacking that feeling of immediate transfer of power on other bikes. I know its isnt my wheels, I haved tried several. I can see the severe deflection in the front end. Hoping on a friends bike makes me so jealous because it just feels SO MUCH BETTER and instantly more responsive/snappy than my Roubaix. I had a Tarmac in the past as well, which did not feel much better than what I'm currently on. Im not complaining, as I am happy to ride any bike right now, but I will most likely wander from Specialized on my next frame purchase.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts