Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like Specialized is basically replacing the Allez with the Tarmac, with the Allez down to 4 models this year. Has anyone ridden both who can comment on the difference? Obviously one is carbon and the other aluminum, I'm wondering more about subjective differences.

·
Team Tom's
1,900 Posts
They're both a more aggressive geometry. There's no question Carbon results in less road buzz than aluminum. I currently own an Allez and am looking to make the jump to a Tarmac and keep the Allez for rainy days or friends.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
IMO, the Tarmac is, without question the better bike. I've ridden both and found the Tarmac to be more refined, more comfortable and faster than the Allez. Geometry (thus fit) are very close, but even there the Tarmac is superior.

If you want a fast bike that handles and rides like the better aluminum bikes do, get the Allez. If you want the positives that the Allez offers, and refinement and a degree of comfort, go for the Tarmac. Even the low end CF Elite gets rave reviews.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I own a Tarmac and an Allez. The only reason to consider an Allez is if you're one who strongly prefers aluminum over carbon, or are on a really tight budget. Nothing wrong with the Allez; the Tarmac's just a lot nicer.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I own both an Allez and a Tarmac. I rode my Allez for three seasons and really liked it. I wanted a new bike, and the geometry on my Allez was virtually identical to the Tarmac I was considering (both 56cm) so it was a no-brainer.

The Tarmac does ride noticeably smoother, but you can really feel the stiffness of the carbon when you stand up and pedal.

I can't say that the Tarmac has made me any faster, but I do notice that at the end of rides, I feel like I have more energy left after riding my Tarmac than I did riding my Allez.

I do want to say, though, that there is nothing wrong with the Allez. I still ride mine frequently, and it's a fine bike. But, when comparing aluminum to carbon, the carbon almost always wins in my book.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.