Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Have any Grey Poupon????
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im caught up b/w a specialized tamrac elite or a Cannondale Super six with 105s. Not sure which one i like more???????????

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nibali just won the Vuelta on a SuperSix. You could be next. :blush2:

More seriously, the Cannondale is the road less traveled, which was enough for me. You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a Tarmac owner.

More objectively, you can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
both roads are pretty well traveled. I'd rather take a caad10 than lower end carbon but if I had to choose, probably the tarmac.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm partially with swang169 on this. I would make sure you really want the carbon. You would end up with a good frame that absorbs a bit of the road over a metal frame but with heavy components and wheels. For the same money you can get a much lighter CAAD10 Ultegra that is full Ultegra with better wheels.

If you are just choosing between those two bikes, I'd go for the 'dale. Overall a slightly better bike but there isn't much between them. You could simply decide based on color.

I'm in the market for the CAAD10 to run in races so it immediately came to mind in this price point. For the same money you are saving about 4lbs.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i'd go supersix, tarmacs are everywhere, both frames are probably 99% the same.

if theres any fit differences between the bikes, go with the one that feels better. or the one with better colors if you're a chick ;)

in NYC tarmacs are a dime a dozen

·
Have any Grey Poupon????
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'd like to dabble into the world of CF bikes, i currently have a 2010 Allez sport. Of course the CAAD10 does look like a pretty bad ass well equipped machine!!!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
IMO the argument that one is less popular than the other is absured because fact is, they're both well established, popular brands/ models. Either way you go, exclusivity isn't part of this picture. And FWIW, in my locale C'dales are more popular than Specs.

I suggest you test ride both, back to back if possible and ideally with the same wheelset/ tires/ PSI's, but if not then at least with the same PSI's. Ride for some duration on the roads closely resembling where you ride to get an idea of the fit/ feel, ride and handling of the bikes. You mentioned having an Allez, so if you like the fit and handling of that bike, compare its geo to the Tarmac and C'dale.

Last thought. JMO, but considering what this venture is going to cost you, I don't see a lot of payback in going with another alu bike. You may lose some weight in the process, but may be able to do the same upgrading your Allez's wheelset. Also, keep in mind that today's low end CF bike was the companies flagship models a couple of years ago, so they're hardly shabby performers.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I agree with PJ352 , but also remember that the Allez was also Specialized's flagship bike and were handbuilt by top framebuilders not so long ago either- just like the CAAD frame was C-Dale's flagship before they dabbled in the carbon arena. What I'm getting at is that these bikes all use the same names but they aren't the same machines except for the CAADs which are possibly the pinnacle of high end aluminum. The Super Six and Tarmac used to use the carbon layout that are now being used on their higher end offerings. Remember this: high end aluminum versus entry-level carbon. Like Wedge 962005, I'll take the high end aluminum CAAD frame anyday.

However, given the two you've decided on, whichever one fits you the best, I see way more Tarmacs than Super Sixes but that could be because Specialized pushes their product like Trek. I know of four shops right now that are dropping Specialized next year because of this practice. These bikes are still decent performing bikes and should be happy with either one.

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
redlizard said:
Nibali just won the Vuelta on a SuperSix. You could be next. :blush2:

More seriously, the Cannondale is the road less traveled, which was enough for me. You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a Tarmac owner.

More objectively, you can't go wrong with either.
I agree with redlizard's reasons, but I admit that I am very biased towards Canndondales. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts