Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Tater Skins?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm spending SuperBowl Sunday making vegetable beef soup. Mmmmmm. One of the ingredients is taters. I love taters. Love 'em cooked, love 'em raw, love 'em smashed, mashed, fried, baked, boiled, broiled.... you get the picture.

But the question of the day is:

Skins: Yes or No?

·
gazing from the shadows
27,224 Posts
kpcw said:
Wasn't New Year's resolution to lose 25lbs?
Superbowl Sunday is the 2nd largest food consumption day of the year, behind only Thanksgiving. Be a pig, do it for the good of the economy.

k, why do you hate America?

(skins are rarely worth eating, imo).

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kpcw said:
Wasn't New Year's resolution to lose 25lbs?
40lb by Dec. 31, 2006. I'm already down 5!!!

Vegetable beef soup is good, no?

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
is this potato skins (which are great, cheaddar and sour cream, just no bacon please) or skin on potatoes in the soup?

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yarble said:
is this potatoe skins (which are great, cheaddar and sour cream, just no bacon please) or skin on potatoes in the soup?
Potato Skins are a seperate thing all together. I'm talking about skins left on the potato, in this case in the soup, but period.

I never skin my taters unless the skin is way nasty and uncleanable.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
KenB said:
Potato Skins are a seperate thing all together. I'm talking about skins left on the potato, in this case in the soup, but period.

I never skin my taters unless the skin is way nasty and uncleanable.
i like the taste of the skin on the potato in soup. without the skin they get too "watery" if that makes sense. they stop tasting like potatoes and start tasting like soup broth.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
kpcw said:
I want some soup too. I am down to 196, from 205. Will get it to 190 soon. Think Arnold from 'Eraser' (horrible film but Vanessa Williams was hot etc).

I still swear the quickest way to lose is to make dinner the tinest meal. Go to bed hungry, wake up starving and train like you always do. I gave up soda and I miss the one liter I might drink over the course of a few days.

I also juice vegetables and fruits in the juicer, that will fire up the system, so to speak. Nothing like it. I wear a 17x34/35 shirt and my goal is to fit into a 16 1/2" shirt soon. I think of Yarble...if a man can live at 145lbs, I can do it.
135lbs moreon!

i dont know what all those numbers mean, but i definitely wear a small.

no soda for me unless its a quick stop while on the bike. water/ice tea/etc. pineorangebanana juice always gets me gonig in the morning. i heard on the radio last night something about drinking soda (with some kind of sugar, as opposed to another kind) does something funky to your stomach and tricks you into eating twice as much food as you normally would without being full.

i think the easiest way to lose weight is to drink a glass of water before your meal, and to ride your bike alot. im no expert, i eat whatever the hell i want whenever i want it. diets make people miserable, just ride your bike more.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
weight

kpcw said:
I want some soup too. I am down to 196, from 205. Will get it to 190 soon. Think Arnold from 'Eraser' (horrible film but Vanessa Williams was hot etc).

I still swear the quickest way to lose is to make dinner the tinest meal. Go to bed hungry, wake up starving and train like you always do. I gave up soda and I miss the one liter I might drink over the course of a few days.

I also juice vegetables and fruits in the juicer, that will fire up the system, so to speak. Nothing like it. I wear a 17x34/35 shirt and my goal is to fit into a 16 1/2" shirt soon. I think of Yarble...if a man can live at 145lbs, I can do it.

I'm down 17 pounds now since mid december...hoping to go down another 25 in the next two months. started at 235, now 218, hoping to get down to 190......Love tater skins...but my diet is pretty strict now...

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
physasst said:
KPCW, I gave up soda too, haven't had any in over a month....drinking, OJ, Coffee, Powerade, Lemonade, Scotch- NO BEER NOW :( , and lotsa water...In fact the only carbonated beverages I have now....is Monster energy drinks, they taste good and get me pumped up before a workout...
monster came to my school last year and had were giving out free cans of it. being the thrifty college student i am i grabbed like 4 or 5 cans and left.

dude, that stuff is like crack in a can. i didnt realize one can is 3 servings until im sitting in class and cant figure out why im shaking. i stll have a couple cans sitting in my fridge that i never drank. for an energy drink they do taste pretty good though

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Soda

physasst said:
I'm down 17 pounds now since mid december...hoping to go down another 25 in the next two months. started at 235, now 218, hoping to get down to 190......Love tater skins...but my diet is pretty strict now...

KPCW, I gave up soda too, haven't had any in over a month....drinking, OJ, Coffee, Powerade, Lemonade, Scotch- NO BEER NOW :( , and lotsa water...In fact the only carbonated beverages I have now....is Monster energy drinks, they taste good and get me pumped up before a workout...

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Ditto, Plus, the skin is the only part that has any nutritional value.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
KenB said:
I'm spending SuperBowl Sunday making vegetable beef soup. Mmmmmm. One of the ingredients is taters. I love taters. Love 'em cooked, love 'em raw, love 'em smashed, mashed, fried, baked, boiled, broiled.... you get the picture.

But the question of the day is:

Skins: Yes or No?
The J's says yes.

so it is written. and so it shall be eaten.

and like that.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
Some folks view the skins as not good because because they have been in direct contact with dirt. I've also heard somewhere that the highest concentration of vitamins and minerals is right below the skin on potatoes and peeling can waste them. I like potato skins personally and often finish off the wife's baked potatoes, (yesterday at the Outback for instance). I would say if you are cooking the soup for yourself and like minded persons leave the skin on, but if you think it might put off some guests then I would peel the spuds....Enjoy!

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Yeah...

yarble said:
monster came to my school last year and had were giving out free cans of it. being the thrifty college student i am i grabbed like 4 or 5 cans and left.

dude, that stuff is like crack in a can. i didnt realize one can is 3 servings until im sitting in class and cant figure out why im shaking. i stll have a couple cans sitting in my fridge that i never drank. for an energy drink they do taste pretty good though

I only drink it before a ride...it definitely jazzes you up....I drink so much coffee at work..I'll never get lower than about 185 or 190 in weight. I'm built like a linebacker....have a LOT of upper body muscles.. :(

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
I love the skins, mmm best part of a baked potato (which I haven't had in years, oh I miss them)! And I am an equal opportunity potato skin eater, I like 'em red, I like 'em brown, I like 'em gold. I like 'em in mashed potatoes, potato soup, au gratin, baked, fried, browned, stewed mmm potatoes are yummy and potatoes with skin are yummier.

Oh, and can you post a recipe? I am always looking for more soup recipes.

P.S. I voted for depends before I read the whole thread, there are more and less healthy ways to eat lovely potato skins

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
zeytin said:
I love the skins, mmm best part of a baked potato (which I haven't had in years, oh I miss them)! And I am an equal opportunity potato skin eater, I like 'em red, I like 'em brown, I like 'em gold. I like 'em in mashed potatoes, potato soup, au gratin, baked, fried, browned, stewed mmm potatoes are yummy and potatoes with skin are yummier.

Oh, and can you post a recipe? I am always looking for more soup recipes.

P.S. I voted for depends before I read the whole thread, there are more and less healthy ways to eat lovely potato skins
Here ya go....

Ingredients

1 medium onion, diced

1 pot herb

1 small head of cabbage, sliced

1 medium yellow turnip, large dice

3 carrots, sliced

1 potato, medium dice

1 28oz can tomato sauce

1 28oz can peeled plum tomatoes, chopped

1 shin bone

1 London broil (or whatever cut of meat you like)

½ bag dried Lima beans

½ cup rice

½ cup medium barley

1 small bag frozen Lima beans

1 small bag frozen green beans

1 small bag frozen corn

1 small bag frozen peas

16 Quart Stock Pot

Preparation

Step 1: Trim and cube London broil. Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the stock pot over high heat. Brown cubed beef and remove, leaving the drippings.

Step 2: Fill the stock pot ¾ full with cold water add salt. Add the shin bone, onion, pot herb, tomato sauce and chopped plum tomatoes. Bring to a slow boil and cook for 2.5 hours.

Step 3: Add the cabbage, browned cubed beef, turnip, carrots, barley, rice and dried Lima beans. Cook for another 2.5 hours at a low boil, stirring frequently to prevent the rice and barely from sticking to the bottom and burning.

Step 4: Add the frozen ingredients and potatoes and cook for another 30 minutes until done.

You can also add some beef broth/stock to enhance the flavor. Season to taste as you go. Pay real close attention to the stirring and heat after you add the rice and barely because it will burn to the bottom of the pot if you don't stir very often, scraping the bottom just to make sure nothing is stuck -- especially important after you add the frozen veggies as the soup temp drops below boil and everything settles on the bottom.

You can also add the turnip at the same time as the tater. It usually disintegrates, which I like, when you add it at step 3.

This recipe has been in my family for at least 100 years.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
yarble said:
i eat whatever the hell i want whenever i want it. diets make people miserable, just ride your bike more.
Yeah, but you're like 17 yo, or something...right? :D :D

/crotchety voice on "Just wait 'til you pass 40" //crochety voice off

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
:confused: What's pot herb? You adding weed to your soup?

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
snapdragen said:
Yeah, but you're like 17 yo, or something...right? :D :D

/crotchety voice on "Just wait 'til you pass 40" //crochety voice off
im in COLLEGE. your mom goes to college!

actually im 20, almost the big two-one

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
yarble said:
im in COLLEGE. your mom goes to college!

actually im 20, almost the big two-one
**snort**

Aw, you're a pup! C'mere, let me pinch your cheeks.... :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts