Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for the tax experts here. I have filed my daughter's tax returns for her the past fews years. She's only 19 and worked a part-time job, so it was no big deal using the 1040EZ form. In 2008 she didn't work much since she's in college now, so her employer didn't take out any money for state and federal taxes. When I completed her returns, she didn't owe any taxes and nor have any refunds due. So my question is: Do I need to even bother filing the returns? It seems like it would just be creating unnecessary paperwork, but I don't want to create any problems for her down the line.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i'm pretty sure you need to file.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
still gotta file even if tax liability = $0

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
As long as you don't owe taxes (that's a different question than whether you have to pay part of that obligation and / or have a refund due) you don't have a legal obligation to file a Federal return. State and local rules vary widely.

Since you've done the legwork, it'll be better for her / you to go ahead and file. You would be unlikely to cause a bad legal situation, but various forms of bureaucratic harrassment tend to follow an unannounced drop in filing.

Here's a walk-through to determine if you must file a Federal return.
http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96623,00.html

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
R T F M

tarwheel2 said:
...So my question is: Do I need to even bother filing the returns?
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

See page 7 and Chart B on page 9.

If it were me I would go ahead and file. At age 19 chances are someone is eventually going to ask for a tax return. School financial aid, loan application, etc. Having a copy of the return you actually filed is more convenient than going through the explantion to whoever is deciding to give/loan your kid money.

Another advantage of filing is it starts the statute of limitations. So three years later if you found out she had some unreported income that you did not know about she may luck out.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
when in doubt, file. trust me.

we forgot to claim whether or not taxes had been taken out on some stock that my wife sold- that's one hell of a letter to get from the IRS- calimed that we owed $3500. CPA took care of it and we owed $190.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
Good advice. Since I've already done the paperwork, it's no big deal to go ahead a file.
I did that for my son who was in the same situation. FAFSA does ask for information referencing a specific line on the tax form.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts