Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My refund is on the way and I am thinking of using it to lighten my ride.

I currently have a Surly Crosscheck with the following;

Veloce shifters and rear deraileur(sp?)
105 hubs laced to Mavic rims (cannot remember which ones)
Sram cassette and chain
Thompson seatpost
Ritchey stem, with King head set,
Salsa bars and
older Ultegra cranks with crappy Schimano bottom bracket.

I was thinking of replacing the fork with a Kinesis Cross Light, seams like a good price and weight, TruVative Elita cranks and Giga Pipe bottom bracket.

Does this sound like it will make a differance?

Also, anyone used these bottom brackets? I am thinking about the Ti, but, I weigh 190 and am afraid that I might be to much.

Anu other suggestions would be helpful,

Thanks,
Derf

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I'd do the wheels first

if it were mine and I had some money to get rid of. Unless you're already running a converter, the sram cassette on the shimano hub would be a good thing to replace. a lighter, smoother wheelset is the best upgrade either way, in my opinion. Then, if youre using a un52 or lower bottom bracket, replace it. I like the un72 and higher shimanos and race face taperlocks myself. never had either fail. I don't have any personal experience with the truvativ's so I'd probably look at either some 110/74 turbines or some FSA's. Or do like you said, and replace the fork and cranks/bb, you'll probably notice a difference.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Ti and 190

better check warranty info. Most Ti parts aren't warrantied to riders over 165 in most cases, some to 180, I've never seen it suggested for a big guy. for the price to grams saved it's silly for guys in our size range.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the input.

My race wheels are Ultegra hubs with tubular mavic rims. They are pretty light.

I think that I will go with the non-ti BB, I do have the un52 one. Maybe I will get the Trutive combo.

What do you guys think of the fork upgrade?

Derf

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I think the Crosslight is Alu.(?) If so I think this fork would be a mismatch to a steel frame. The last thing you want is a fork that is stiffer riding than the frame, makes the bike feel weird. Wait and score a decent steel fork on-line. with all these guys going carbon there will be some Ritchey, IF, etc forks coming down the pipe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts