Votes: 13 56.5%
  • taxes? what? i don't drink tea anyways, so i don't bother

Votes: 2 8.7%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if someone does your taxes and charges you for it, how much do they charge or is it a percentage? how long have you gone to them?

if you do your own, do you use a program and e-file, or do you pull out the slide rule, adding machine and a pencil and spend a week lock in the back room only to emerge with your taxes bulging from the envelopes?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
My taxes are somewhat confusing with multiple business entities and K1 earnings etc..., so I have a CPA that does my personal taxes along with the corporate stuff. If I had to guess, my personal usually amounts to about 1200-1400 of the multiple thousand dollar bill....

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wtf? pole fail.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
we have some funky stuff associated with AMT, a trust, contractor earnings and stock option exercises, so we have them done. Typical package is 50-75 pages. I've paid ~$250-300 for the past 10 years across a couple of CPAs. $5 to $6 a page. :D

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Me + HR Block's tax program, 1 hr or so, Bam! Filed. Boff fed and state.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
$350.00 Multiple states....mucho complicated.

Len

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Turbo tax, even with complicated freelance-y stuff.

Takes about an hour, always end up with a rebate.

·
Registered
202 Posts
TurboTax and a ball point even when I was paying taxes to three countries and one state.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
my wife uses some self-employed version of turbo tax or something. she has 3 different jobs where she gets 1099's and various write-off.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
About $120 (though I haven't seen the bill this year yet) from a CPA for both State and Fed. Mine are easy, my wife's less so. Saves me the headache of doing it. Well worth the $$.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
tomk96 said:
my wife uses some self-employed version of turbo tax or something. she has 3 different jobs where she gets 1099's and various write-off.
this is also what I use.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
My wife does ours using Turbo Tax. One year after a friend recommended his accountant we paid him to do them just to doublecheck. It was our first year of using Turbo Tax.... and he came up with the exact same answer as turbotax.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Chain said:
My wife does ours using Turbo Tax. One year after a friend recommended his accountant we paid him to do them just to doublecheck. It was our first year of using Turbo Tax.... and he came up with the exact same answer as turbotax.
I think our CPA uses something similar to TT anyway, but he also keeps up on the latest tax laws. He's found quite a few deductions I wouldn't have thought of and isn't a lot more expensive than the software I'd have to buy.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I think our CPA uses something similar to TT anyway, but he also keeps up on the latest tax laws. He's found quite a few deductions I wouldn't have thought of and isn't a lot more expensive than the software I'd have to buy.
My wife is a CPA/CMA :thumbsup: She does corporate accounting, but still keeps up on most of it. I passed the CPA exam, but never finished the rest of the qualifications to get the certificate. I've never posted a journal entry either... always worked in Credit or Finance.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Chain said:
My wife is a CPA/CMA :thumbsup: She does corporate accounting, but still keeps up on most of it. I passed the CPA exam, but never finished the rest of the qualifications to get the certificate. I've never posted a journal entry either... always worked in Credit or Finance.
That kinda stuff just gives me a headache. Math is hard. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts