Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I’ve read in general timing around ftp testing and it looks like every 4 or 5 weeks people do the testing especially during build phase. But, for myself, I’ve just completed a full TCTP cycle and extended to 12 weeks with my final race this weekend at which point I’ll back off and follow his mtc program for 4 and maybe up to 6 weeks before starting again.

He also says to re-do the ftp test a few days before starting the program again and you should see an increase in ftp from the first time you did the test – great! But, don’t you think I’ll “de-train” over 4-6 weeks and have a low ftp relative to my current ftp?

Would it be better to take next week off/really easy, then run the ftp test and use that number for when I start up again in 4-6weeks time?

FWIW, his mtc program has you riding from 20-40min a few days a week at around 80% of ftp (upper end of EM) with some SS and power intervals in weeks 4-6.

I’m just thinking that if I start the program on an ftp a few points lower then what they are today, I could miss out on a slight opportunity. Also, his program does not re-test ftp.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
from what i understand when the book says it should be higher it means it should be higher than your previous starting ftp not your ftp at the end of the training period. You have to "de-train"/rest some to let your body recover to build some more. bascially each time you do the training your new high will be higher than the old high and your new low will be higher than the old low.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I think you're over thinking it. Or at least worried about something that you don't need to worry about. Regardless of what you think the book says use the last FTP to do your maintenance phase (which will be a touch high as you will detrain in 4 weeks).

As long as you do a test before your next block and use those values I think that's about as good as it will get. If you want to worry about something make sure you test as close to possible the same way each time. I've found that to be the hardest thing to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks or the input. I re-read some of the book and it actually say specificlly in there that you need to re-test just before blocks. He also says that some ftp tests may not yield an increase especiall if you are testing like in January as strictly indoor riding could hamper progress relative to outside riding.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks or the input. I re-read some of the book and it actually say specificlly in there that you need to re-test just before blocks. He also says that some ftp tests may not yield an increase especiall if you are testing like in January as strictly indoor riding could hamper progress relative to outside riding.
One other point is that you're not completely "off" -- what you're doing is base-building. Long endurance rides followed by recovery, but no high intensity stuff. That's important, b/c otherwise the gains from the build will fade fast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, Carmichael runs a different philosophy in that there is an alternative to base building which wouldn’t include the LSD philosophy. The link below is a representative article on his school of thought done by a coaches from CTS. I’m not saying which philosophy is better, but I’ll likely follow TCTP due to time and money constraints.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/the-myth-of-winter-base-training-for-cyclists

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yes. That blog post is a near verbatim quote from the book, but it's incomplete and somewhat misleading, and my own imprecision did not help. But spending a couple of months doing long z2 rides is LSD. What the book talks about is long rides (like take a half day off and hit 4 hours of endurance riding) several times over a few weeks. Those rides build aerobic capacity and allow recovery--you can check out the coggan charts on what each zone generally does. They also allow your brain to reset, as those sets are murder. 4-6 weeks off and your FTP virtually guaranteed to be lower than at the end of the build cycle.

The aerobic work is still there--it's just not part of a formal "base" season, never to be repeated. His cycle is build-"recovery"-build. But the program is pretty taxing. (I'm referring to the first edition-haven't seen the second).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts