Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Bianchi Eros
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traditional finish.

The queuing up of the sprinter teams for the day’s win is a monumental sports spectacle.

Champs will have first stage of the first women’s TdF earlier in the day.

People often ask: why doesn't someone close to the overall winning podium (first, second third) just try to ride away and win on this final stage? C'mon, Gilet Thomas! C'mon Quantas!

A short answer: four things: one - the top 2 or 3 are good all-around riders as well as being good climbers; - two - this final stage is flat; three- a few riders in a group are far more efficient than a single rider, due to drafting; four - the earlier you make your move, the more opportunity you have to ride away, but that means the more time they have to catch up and vice versa - the later you make your jump the less time you have to enlarge a time gap.

Mainly because of the efficiency of drafting, you cannot get away.

This is why sprint stages go crazy in the final half kilometer and not earlier - a sprinter cannot get away unless it is all-out to the finish line, and this is why big time gaps only open up on uphill mountain finishes.

Has it evar been done? Yes, I think once. Maybe someone will comment on that.

Til next year! Allors!

·
Registered
267 Posts
@CzeckMark, thanks again for the posts/previews. They added context to the stages for me. It was an entertaining Tour. I may start following the Giro and Vuelta as well.

Wout Van Aert's legs must be dead tired. With all that TJV has accomplished, wonder if he'll simply concede the final sprint tomorrow.

·
Registered
Bianchi Eros
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@CzeckMark, thanks again for the posts/previews. They added context to the stages for me. It was an entertaining Tour. I may start following the Giro and Vuelta as well.

Wout Van Aert's legs must be dead tired. With all that TJV has accomplished, wonder if he'll simply concede the final sprint tomorrow.
You are welcome!

This has been a good tour. Great sports viewing. I am surprised Vingegaard got the lead and really surprised he held it.

·
Registered
Bianchi Eros
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had been VPN-ing through Netherlands. It seems like today they were not broadcasting the tour.
I had to go through a lot of the choices noted at cyclingfans until i found a live coverage from Belgium.

·
Proud luddite
7,280 Posts
I was hoping Ewan would win in Paris, mainly because he suffered badly all tour but he hung in there and never abandoned. It would have been cool to see the Lantern Rouge win the season’s biggest sprint but it wasn’t meant to be.

·
Registered
Bianchi Eros
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Tour has been over for a week. But the bot views keep climbing! Now at 282.
THanks for viewing, all of you genuine RBR folks, and you bots! Special Bot-Thanks to:
choricoff
oneder
nightskiier
midshaw
europeanson
rcrfc
shade
hgw20
lobo12
Parleerider
sgibran
jj911c2
Lakota08
tgb68
LePip
Dufresne
Patchy
midshaw
europeanson
kingmax
choricoff
TCW2
mikeg1975
FXrider
snortimer
headstart
midshaw

·
Registered
Bianchi Eros
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
336 views! Aug 03! The bots keep checking out my thread!
No post-race TdF discussion, a couple comments on the new Femme TdF, and no talk yet about Vuelta, but 50 "people" have looked at this one post in the last 4 days!

·
Proud luddite
7,280 Posts
Here’s something to get things started. Now that we know Jakobsen won only one stage, should Quick Step have gone with Cav as their sprinter? Or would Cav have even made it to Paris given how grueling the Tour was this year?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts