Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TdF '17 Stage 12 Jul 13: discussion. Will Contador show up?

130 miles, all gnarly looking, 3 major climbs. Contador fell a couple times on St 11, and otherwise has seemingly not been eating the correct cut of Spanish steak. Has his day come and gone?

Can anyone threaten Froome? So far, Sky has been working like a machine. Can Froome put this out of reach with a decisive performance over GC rivals? The advertisers would hate that.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
If Contador is feeling alright he'll definitely try something. His problem now though is the rider whom he made the plans with for the Formigal Vuelta stage and the Catalonia stage is at home with a broken knee cap. No idea who he may try to work with to try something similar.

2nd question is yes he can. He's close right now. I do think on one of the descent finishes Bardet can do something.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Who?

The dude with that name in The Tour keeps falling down!

We're talking 5, maybe 6 times already :confused: .

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Contador is too close in GC to be able to get in the break to try and win a stage. Not much for him to do in GC anymore, might stay upright on the bike all day if he is lucky.
If Quintana wants to be a factor he'll have to get at least a minute somewhere on the stage so that would be an attack from port de la bales.
Depending how Fuglsangs arm and wrists are holding up Astana could try and play 1-2 to shake up sky.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Since I think this Tour is playing out much like 1999/2000/2001/2002/2003/3004/2005 Tours;

I think Froome will win this stage.

He hasn't won a stage yet so this stage is made-to-order for him.

Reactions: SNS1938

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on this final big descent, a safe one, Sky/MJ controlling the front.
Froome to put the hammer down on this final climb?
Tempting - it would be a ride in the cat bird seat, massages and champagne all the way to Paris.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
Remedial cornering required for Froome LOL.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
And Aru. I think it was Nieve who led them off and ended up between RVs
I'm with McEwen. Dumb dumb dumb dumb for the pack to slow for UK Postal's stupidity in not knowing the course.

Hopefully it plays into Cumming's hands...not likely though. Always like a breakaway, particularly when the peloton does stupid crap.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Somehow if he won a stage, he'd probably fall off the podium..

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm with McEwen. Dumb dumb dumb dumb for the pack to slow for UK Postal's stupidity in not knowing the course.

Hopefully it plays into Cumming's hands...not likely though. Always like a breakaway, particularly when the peloton does stupid crap.
Other commentators say it was a more of it being a crap place to attack rather than waiting for Aru and Froome and as we see Quintana was cooked anyway.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quintana cooked, Contador almost cooked.
If I were Froome, I wold deliver the coup de grace here.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
Other commentators say it was a more of it being a crap place to attack rather than waiting for Aru and Froome and as we see Quintana was cooked anyway.

Whether it was a good or bad place to attack...they basically surrendered the stage to Sky, whether they wanted to or not.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was an epic finish. Those final meters fit in the category of "cruel and unusual punishment." Froome has nothing to be embarrassed about for those final 100m. Kwiatkowski was a warrior.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
Ah that would explain why Aru is in the yellow then with AG2R winning the stage :rolleyes:

I'll admit I'm very pleasantly surprised. Didn't think I'd see the day when the stem staring plucked chicken would get dropped on a mountain finish. :D

Frenchman winning on Bastille Day, French media are going to go nuts.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Wow; what a finish!

This makes things interesting now :thumbsup: !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts