Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This first-day course is a hilly 120 miles. The first third is along the coast, which very well may be pretty windy. Crosswinds could actually allow significant echelons to form, but the peloton should be able to swallow these echelons pretty soon after, certainly by the final few miles. A breakaway is unlikely, but a big group off the front should be expected to form in the final several miles to be positioned for a sprint finish.

The final 2 miles ensure that the end will not be over until the final drag race. There are a couple curves starting at 2 miles out, then a broad half mile turn, crossing the L'Elorn River, with a zig-zag once they come back across the E'lorn, and a mile of straight drag race for the finish. That final zig-zag is a real rate-limiter.

This sprinter's ending for this premier day will provide a flashy, thrilling ending. Frankly, the TdF is wise to set up such an interesting stage for Day 1, which will have heavy spectator views.

This opening stage could really set one rider off to a great start for the green jersey, if one guy is positioned well for the zig-zags and the sprint, but this stage is unlikely to shape the overall GC standing.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I think Mathieu Van der Poel is going to kill himself for this victory. It'll be for his grandpa (Raymond Poulidor) who never wore yellow even 1 day amazingly. It's also his first TdF, so this would be a stage win and yellow jersey on day 1. Like hitting a home run first pitch, first time at bat in the majors. If not him, Jullien Alaphillipe. The first week was made for him and I'm sure all of France is hoping.
I can't wait!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,669 Posts
I hope that fan gets his comeuppance. Such a disastrous result for a moment of vanity
Not even a fan. They were wanting their air time on TV. They weren't even watching the race--but the cameras.

Worse as the idiots who light road-flares.

Reactions: Wetworks

·
Proud luddite
7,268 Posts
I read a report that Prudhomme issued a grievance against the fan with the sign, who they say is German. The article said the guy promptly got on a flight back to Germany post haste. He'll be laying low, but knowing today's tenacious media, they'll find him in Germany no doubt. Cancel culture = he will be publicly shamed, he will lose his job, he will sue the TDF for exploiting him, and he will end up on a reality show with Snoop Dogg.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Watched a bit of today's disgusting stage and I'm done with the Tour this year. I had little interest in it before and after today I have exactly no interest at all in seeing anymore of it. The race is over as far as I'm concerned. Alaphilipe winning a disgusting stage is completely fitting.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Watched a bit of today's disgusting stage and I'm done with the Tour this year. I had little interest in it before and after today I have exactly no interest at all in seeing anymore of it. The race is over as far as I'm concerned. Alaphilipe winning a disgusting stage is completely fitting.
Lol, at least you're consistent.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I’m watching with closed caption while I work, saw a note that the ‘fan’ was arrested in Finland and is being extradited to France. I hope they throw the book at her. Would feel a bit different if she came forward and admitted she messed up big time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.