1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TdF '21 Discussion Thread Stage 17 Jul14 SPOILER ALERT

Bastille Day! Battle on the mountains!
This is a 107-mile mountain stage with the three climbs in the final 30 miles, including a mountain finish at Col du Portet. Nearly 10 miles at 8.7%.

This Stage 17 and the following day's Stage 18 are sure to be dramatic riding. There is a big contest for podium spots, and it is make-or-break time for climbers.

The lore is that a Frenchman always wants to win on Bastille Day. Gaudu, Peintre, and Martin are not too far off the top of GC, and Alaphillipe and Ellisonde are not far off the top of the climber competition. If any of these guys wins the stage, they deserve it. They will be marked. Rolland might go for it.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As of Tuesday: who might be on the podium in Paris?
12th place, Cattaneo, is 14 min 45 sec out of first, and 9 minutes 13 seconds out of third.
13th place, Peintre, is 22 minutes out of first and 17 minutes out of third.

So, it is reasonable to think that anyone now in the top 12 might have a shot at podium, but from 13th further down is quite a long shot and would earn a few posts in the doping forum.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Except for Valverde chasing Kuss on Sunday, Movistar has been pretty quiet this tour. I predict they go all in tomorrow and Enric Mas is the big gainer of the day.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carapaz sand-bagging: this always seems like a douche move. At least to me. But it is part of the rules and tactics. Pogacar and Vingegard had no other choice but to let him hang on like a remora. Lest they be slowed down, and caught.

I am glad Vingegard got Carapaz in the final 50 yards. I don't think anyone will allow Carapaz to wheel suck tomorrow.

·
Opus was just napping
22,159 Posts
Carapaz sand-bagging: this always seems like a douche move. At least to me. But it is part of the rules and tactics. Pogacar and Vingegard had no other choice but to let him hang on like a remora. Lest they be slowed down, and caught.

I am glad Vingegard got Carapaz in the final 50 yards. I don't think anyone will allow Carapaz to wheel suck tomorrow.
I disagree, Carapaz is on a different team and has no reason to help anyone especially Pogacar who had it in his mind to win the stage. Why work just to help Pogacar win the stage? If the other two riders decide to sit up, it doesn't hurt Carapaz who whether he was rope a doping or was actually suffering just to stay on the wheel was decidedly not going to put time into the other two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.