Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TdF '21 Discussion Thread Stage 19 Jul16 SPOILER ALERT

From here, the Tour becomes flat and short. The Tour route planners maybe placed enough vertical early in the race to define the Overall competition fairly early on, although these final two mountain stages have shown great GT competition. The overall Podium competition is pretty well defined.

The points competition still conceivably has room for someone to overtake Cavendish, but certainly for movement in second and third place. What remains is a time trial and an easy ride into Paris that will end up being tough only for those seeking sprinter points. So, teams will be eying wins and points on this Stage 19 as very desirable - being in short supply now! So, Stage 19 may be quite brisk.

Also, what remains is glory. The opportunity to be a stage winner, or to at least ride your team logo and nation's reputation off the front for a while.

With the overall winners of this year's tour largely in place, viewership may drop among some, just when it naturally springs up in the final few stages. With sprinter points competition largely sewn up, who wants to watch an entire stage to see the few moments of a sprint finish? Who wants to watch the tedium of a time trial? And, the final stage in Paris has little viewer appeal until they arrive on the Champs. So, for many, there is not much to follow, not much compelling racing for extended viewership.

This is a 124-mile flat stage. The intermediate sprint points are early on, at 31 miles. The finish is about as straight as you might be able to get in France. It looks like a good attempt at straightening out a paper clip.

The riders head north up D121, through Genissac. Via Goo gle maps "street view," the road is definitely narrow two-lane, with low walls and ditches and natural barriers such as hedges in the more rural stretches, and sidewalks and buildings near the road in the town. Thus a quite narrow road with little relief. Not much shoulder to lean on.

They then get on D1089 for the final 4 miles into Libourne. Most of this continues as two-lane riad, but with shoulder. Good. But some terrible "road furniture:" poles that are about 2 1/2 foot tall to separate the lane running in each direction. We shall see how they mark these. They surely will close off both lanes, and not make the riders run on one lane. So, the riders better be alert. These things will take you out, disc brakes and all.

I will post a pic below of what I see on Goo gle maps. These do not quite look like concrete; they could be removable. We will see. But it looks like a nightmare. The riders had better work together to avoid crashes. And not blame the tour organizers, the team managers, the gun manufacturers, the patriarchy, Q-Anon, etc.

There is also a LOT of guard rail, until they get well into Libourne.

Not much else to say. A TT and Paris. I have enjoyed viewing the Tour this year. Many of us said last year that it was really an enjoyable Tour, due to a great route and great competition. I say this year was also enjoyable to follow.

I usually follow daily, and look at the profile and finish to get a head's up on what might transpire. A few years back, I started posting "daily discussion" threads to reign in the various parallel discussions going on, and make it easier to follow stage-specific discussions. There has been another one or two RBR members who have also done this. In the past I have back-channeled them to see who is up for it, and we have parsed it out at times. But no one has been doing this for the recent couple of years. So, I figure I will carry on. Anyone is free to post similar or same.

Viewership and posting are really low, relative to 7 or 8 years ago. I and other RBR members have posted elsewhere about why. It is nice to get a few hundred views and the occasional comment here, but it would be nice if RBR could build up what was once going on here. Whoever might be in charge - certainly not me since I get banished now and then - might consider some thoughtful honest review of participation here versus other sites - face book, bike fo rums and so on.

To sum up: Thanks for reading! And I hope others have enjoyed following the Tour as I have, yet again! I hope my posts have added a bit to the experience!

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
D121 - second to last road for stage 19. Genissac. Note narrow street and side pylons. Yikes.

D1089, coming into Libourne. Note guard rails and pylons. These mid-road pylons may run all the way the final few miles to the finish. Yikes. At least some shoulder.

·
Opus was just napping
22,159 Posts

Deleted this, but going to repost. The zip your lip and shush move was not what cycling needs after your teams hotel was raided the night before.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don’t get the tactics today - not sure why Quick Step didn’t control with a few other team. You would think they would put Cav in position to break the record and leave Sunday as the “just in case” day to break the record.

But…..that’s just me….sitting here in a chair as I read from the coffee shop :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.