Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TdF '21 Discussion Thread Stage 20 Jul17 SPOILER ALERT

This is a time trial of 18 1/2 miles. There is a rise at about 2/3 of the way, and the finish is on a slight rise - looks like a false flat.
The route is fairly twisty. Several turns are tighter than 90 degrees. We very well may see a bike or two get laid down.

There is a time check one-third in, then the rise starts. The second time check is along this rise. The riders who do better will be those who have less differential on the second time check, with the rise, relative to the first time check for the flat at the beginning.

The route leaves downtown Libourne and does a big loop out to the northeast of town. Early on, the riders go down Route de Sante Jacques de Compostelle, then a big loop out to the northeast, then south, then east again on this Route de Sante Jacques de Compostelle. That loop is about half the entire length of the stage. If it were me, I would just stay straight on this Route de Sante Jacques de Compostelle the whole time, and skip the long loop. This would be my one chance of being anywhere close to a competitive time, and getting some screen time for my sponsors. Let's see if any riders try this little trick.

Most know this, but not all. In this style of TT, riders get released from the starting gate at one-minute intervals. They are ordered by overall GC standing, slowest to the leader - which will be Pogachar. So, as the day progresses, you typically see the top time get superseded regularly.

Pogacar famously slayed the time trial last year. An almost unbelievable performance. So, of course we expect the same this year. Last year, he needed that phenomenal TT performance to win the GC overall, but his lead is very comfortable this year. So, one battle will be for standing in the GC overall for the remaining top ten places. For the green jersey, it seems like second place overall and third place overall can be challenged by points on this TT.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.