Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a Tdf Pool this year for 5-6 people in our office, and instead of just picking winners, we came up with a Fantasy Format (below). Two questions: 1) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the format? and 2) given the format, who would be your top choices? (I'm going to share your responses with everyone in the pool.)

The Rules:

$20 each to start.

Draft = 9 riders each. Draft order goes 1-6, 6-1, 1-6, etc.

Assign points for podium finishers for each stage just like time bonuses: 20 points for a winner, 12 for second, 8 for third.

Final podium (GC overall) will also count for the same number of points, i.e. it acts like an additional stage.

Also, 12 points each for picking the winners of the polka dot (mountains) and green jerseys (points). We're blowing off the white jersey

If you want to trade with someone else, then it’s $2/rider/player/trade. Ex: Kloden for Voigts would be $2/player, or an additional $4 for the pool. Or, Basso/Hincapie for Ullrich/Valverde would be $4/player, or $8 for the pool.

If you want to drop a rider/add a rider not on someone’s team, it’s $2/transaction. Ex: Drop Julich, pick up Horner = $2.

No transactions after the second rest day.

Winner gets 75% of the pot; second place gets 25%. Third gets to make the rules next year.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The Don said:
I'm running a Tdf Pool this year for 5-6 people in our office, and instead of just picking winners, we came up with a Fantasy Format (below). Two questions: 1) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the format? and 2) given the format, who would be your top choices? (I'm going to share your responses with everyone in the pool.)

The Rules:

$20 each to start.

Draft = 9 riders each. Draft order goes 1-6, 6-1, 1-6, etc.

Assign points for podium finishers for each stage just like time bonuses: 20 points for a winner, 12 for second, 8 for third.

Final podium (GC overall) will also count for the same number of points, i.e. it acts like an additional stage.

Also, 12 points each for picking the winners of the polka dot (mountains) and green jerseys (points). We're blowing off the white jersey

If you want to trade with someone else, then it’s $2/rider/player/trade. Ex: Kloden for Voigts would be $2/player, or an additional $4 for the pool. Or, Basso/Hincapie for Ullrich/Valverde would be $4/player, or $8 for the pool.

If you want to drop a rider/add a rider not on someone’s team, it’s $2/transaction. Ex: Drop Julich, pick up Horner = $2.

No transactions after the second rest day.

Winner gets 75% of the pot; second place gets 25%. Third gets to make the rules next year.
Sounds Fun. I don't think I could find 6 people at the office to play Fantasy TDF with.

As far as your game, it sounds fair and workable. A couple of suggestions
A) as far as your draft order how about something like:
1) 1-6 2) 6-1 3) Even Numers Forward then Odds backward 246531 4) Odd Numbers Forward then Even Backwards 135642 5) Even Back Odd Back 642531 6) Odd Forward Even Forward 135246 7) Meet in the middle 162534 8) meet in the middle backwards 615243 9) last round 362541

B) Treating GC as just another stage seems to diminish the difficulty of picking the GC podium in relation to it's value in determining the winner. I would be tempted to double the points for having the GC podium on your team.

My thoughts, not the gosbel.

Scot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.