Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello RBR-
On the eve of the 2008 Tour de France, I decided to start a Yellow Jersey Predictions post.
We can look back when it is all over, and see if anyone gets it right, or if anyone at least gets the top 3.

If you dare, post your predictions for the three on the podium July 27, in Paris:
GC, 2nd, 3rd.

Tour begins, I believe, at 12:15pm Central Eastern Time Saturday.
That will be, I believe, 11:15am Greenwich Mean Time; 6:15am Eastern, 5:15 Central, 4:15 Mountain, 3:15 Pacific, so we can consider pre-race predictions to be anything posted up until that moment.

There is already a post “TDF Yellow Jersey Predictions” by pr0230 and anything there counts, as long as it was posted before or at race time.

I am posting this post to 1. set the deadline and 2. continue on since I have posted this for the past 2 years.

-PJay

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
PJay said:
Hello RBR-
On the eve of the 2008 Tour de France, I decided to start a Yellow Jersey Predictions post.
We can look back when it is all over, and see if anyone gets it right, or if anyone at least gets the top 3.

If you dare, post your predictions for the three on the podium July 27, in Paris:
GC, 2nd, 3rd.

Tour begins, I believe, at 12:15pm Central Eastern Time Saturday.
That will be, I believe, 11:15am Greenwich Mean Time; 6:15am Eastern, 5:15 Central, 4:15 Mountain, 3:15 Pacific, so we can consider pre-race predictions to be anything posted up until that moment.

There is already a post “TDF Yellow Jersey Predictions” by pr0230 and anything there counts, as long as it was posted before or at race time.

I am posting this post to 1. set the deadline and 2. continue on since I have posted this for the past 2 years.

-PJay
Evans, Sastre, Valverde.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
(1) Cunego, (2) Evans, (3) Menchov

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I posted in the duplicate post of this thread; here it is:

green jersey: Robbie McEwen
polka dot: Ricco
overall GC: Valverde (1st), Andy Schleck (2nd), Cadel Evans (3rd).

I don't think there's enough ITT in this year's tour for Evans to gain time and he'll instead get dropped on at least one key mountain top finish. McEwen will be motivated by the fact that Lotto is not supporting him in sprints and he'll want to steal the Oz spotlight from Evans (who I don't think he likes much)..

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Prediction Results! Retro Grouch sole predictor!

Pr0230 had a post shortly before mine, discussing predictions. So, I reviewed mine and that post. Brentthetank had a link to his blog with his predictions, so I looked at that, also.

If all goes as predicted in this final showcase stage:

One Winner!
Retro Grouch said: “I'm going out on a limb and say Sastre for the top spot.”

More correct picks:
Einstruzende, Qstcik333, Uzziefly, AJL, sokudo, aussiebullet, harlond, Pablo, and jhamlin38 all correctly picked Evans as second. Along with picking evans for second, aussiebullet and harlond had sastre as third.

Robdamanii said: “Evans doesn't make the top spot. That's a guarantee. And he'll whine about his team being too weak again, even thought he'll have uber-domistique riding for him.” Extra credit for that Nostradamus-like prediction. In another post, robdamanii puts Evans at third.

Close Calls:
Raceoftruth, Run1stBike2nd, 97g8tr, and Cycle_spice put Evans first and sastre second. Thus, picked the top 2 but in wrong places. Also they both had menchov as third – off by one place again.

Iliveonnitro had evans first, sastre second.

Hayduke1972 put sastre at third, and evans at first. Thus got 2 of 3 podium placements. Plus his third pick for podium, menchov at second, ended up fourth. This would pay well at the horse races.

Pr0230 made the call that CSC would be strong, although he picked A. Schleck as GC.

Roadie92 ewarneruse hayduke1972 brentthetank moontrain slowdave picked Evans as first.

Kris flatlander, pdh777, stevesbike picked Evans for 3rd.

Off-track
Einstruzende said: “I will further add that Frank Schleck won't be in the top 10. Where are you folks getting this idea that he is a top 5 GCer?”

For me, this year was difficult to call. I was hesitant to go with Evans since he rarely busts out and makes a bold move. I picked Valverde because he has experience and will make bold moves –only he did it too much and at the wrong times.

Now: I am posting this, cuz I am about to head off to church. My guess is that the status quo will hold til the finish.

Also, this depends on no winners getting revoked due to doping. Not like it has ever happened or anything, but it could. Hypothetically.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.