Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Eurosport France:

Astana Wurth: MICHELE SCARPONI (ITA) MARCOS ANTONIO SERRANO RODRIGUEZ (ESP) DAVID ETXEBARRIA ALCORTA (ESP) JOSEBA BELOKI DORRONSORO (ESP) ANGEL VICIOSO ARCOS (ESP) ISIDRO NOZAL VEGA (ESP) UNAI DARED EIZAGUIRRE (ESP) JORG JAKSCHE (ALL) -

CSC: IVAN BASSO (ITA) -
Balears-Illes: CONSTANTINO ZABALLA GUTIERREZ (ESP) -
Duval CARLOS ZARATE FERNANDEZ (ESP) -
AG2R: FRANCISCO MANCEBO PEREZ (ESP) -
T-Mobile: JAN ULLRICH (ALL) OSCAR SEVILLA (ESP) -
Phonak: ENRIQUE GUTIERREZ CATALUÑA (ESP) IGNACIO GUTIERREZ CATALUÑA (ESP) -
Comunitat Valenciana: VICENTE BALLESTER MARTINEZ (ESP) DAVID BERNABEU
ARMENGOL (ESP) DAVID BLANCO RODRIGUEZ (ESP) ADRIAN BONILLA (ESP) JUAN GOMIS
LOPEZ (ESP) ELADIO JIMENEZ SANCHEZ (ESP) DAVID LATASA LASA (ESP) JAVIER
PASCUAL RODRIGUEZ (ESP) RUBEN PLAZA MOLINA (ESP) SHINE MARTINEZ JIMENEZ
(ESP) - Unibet.com: CARLOS GARCIA QUESADA (ESP) -

Runners reprocessed or already suspended for doping: ROBERTO HERAS (ESP)
ANGEL CASERO (ESP) SANTIAGO PEREZ (ESP) TYLER HAMILTON

So it would appear the two guys who were real favorites will not race, and some of the pretenders (Mancebo, Jaksche and Beloki). That is unless ASO and the UCI do an about face.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
As far as I know those folks are still starting, so until the fat lady sings...at which point Cadel Evans might be a good bet for the win, though it will really truly be wide open.

· awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
Einstruzende said:
As far as I know those folks are still starting, so until the fat lady sings...at which point Cadel Evans might be a good bet for the win, though it will really truly be wide open.

Its going to be Cadel v Levi v Vino by the time this is done....

· Registered
103 Posts
So, let's say that everyone on this list is a doper. Let us say that LA is too. Does that not make LA STILL the best if he beat all the dopers? My point is, at this point I don't care anymore. I say make it LEGAL to dope in all sports. Freeze all records as is and start new ones PD (post dope.) At some point, as athletes start to die out from all the dope usage it will come full circle and athletes will return to "clean" participation. (tongue is somewhat in cheek with this but I am sick of hearing about how evil these athletes are for doping when it is the $$$$ involved in the sport that fuels the need for this crap)

BTW GO Kiaser doped to the gills or not you deserve the win baby!

· Registered
660 Posts
Why didn't jan go to South Africa to some random island

Instead of the clinic where all the domestiques went for their blood work.... How wide will this TDF be if Jan, Basso and others are booted? At least Basso has a Giro win which may end up to be like Tyler's GOld medal the win with an eternal asterisk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow is all I can say.

Nik

· Registered
70 Posts
W o W

Astana Wurth: MICHELE SCARPONI (ITA) MARCOS ANTONIO SERRANO RODRIGUEZ (ESP) DAVID ETXEBARRIA ALCORTA (ESP) JOSEBA BELOKI DORRONSORO (ESP) ANGEL VICIOSO ARCOS (ESP) ISIDRO NOZAL VEGA (ESP) UNAI DARED EIZAGUIRRE (ESP) JORG JAKSCHE (ALL) -
who the heck will ride in support of Vino?:eek:

PS I did not follow cycling when Festina went down....given that this is race #1 post Armstrong i'm guessing this dwarfs it.

-Rash

· Call me a Fred
17,026 Posts
Vino don't need no stinkin support!

· Registered
70 Posts
agreed....

MikeBiker said:
Vino don't need no stinkin support!
agreed...but it wouldn't hurt!

crazy stuff is goin down. so far eurospt fr is th only source of the 31 names that I can find.

· Registered
70 Posts
is it a requirement to start 9 riders? does astana even have 9 riders after those who are named get booted?

actually only 3 riders on the start list are named.....nevermind!

· Registered
172 Posts
cyclingnews.com are saying that T-mobile have suspended Ulrich.

"T-Mobile has suspended Jan Ullrich, Oscar Sevilla and Rudy Pevenage in the wake of the Operacion Puerto affair. The three were implicated in the doping scandal as being clients of Dr Eufemiano Fuentes. None of them will take part in the Tour de France."

I think its about time to say, the sh*t has hit the fan!

· Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rash said:
who the heck will ride in support of Vino?:eek:
PS I did not follow cycling when Festina went down....given that this is race #1 post Armstrong i'm guessing this dwarfs it.
-Rash

Everything I'm reading says ASO is not letting Astana ride regardless of the CAS decision. Seeing as almost every rider on Astana is named as well as the central role of Saiz in the operation, I don't think this is an unjust decision.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trevor! said:
I am totally confused by all of this: Does this mean that basso is out too? I am reading conflicting posts and threads all over the net.
From what ASO has said, I would say yes. They have claimed anyone linked to the Fuentes affair will not be allowed to start. Interestingly, there is new story on L'equipe:

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20060630_092735Dev.html

I don't read French put I think this is about picking thru trash CSC dumped at Paris-Roubaix and perhaps finding some forbidden substances? Not unlike the USPS/Actovegin story from a few years back.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rash said:
agreed...but it wouldn't hurt!

crazy stuff is goin down. so far eurospt fr is th only source of the 31 names that I can find.
Cycling4all.com has a more extensive list, interestingly the Rabobankers Menchov and Flecha are no longer mentioned. Should be a complete official list within a few hours.

· MTBR Super Mod'
272 Posts
This is going to turn out to be one interesting tour. I hope the good performances of whos left isn't over shadowed by all of this.

I for one am totally disappointed with the prospect of all these riders being excluded from the tour. I wonder who'll win now? Lance must be grinning since we haven't seen his name this time round.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.