Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
merckxman
Joined
·
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Tour to Include UK-France Time Trial
By Mark Zalewski

With the 2007 Grand Départ announced for London, as well as subsequent stages, the organisers of the Tour de France, Amaury Sports Organisation, have announced an addition to the race -- a 55km time trial from Cheriton in Kent, the United Kingdom, to Coquelles near Calais in northern France, utilizing the middle access tunnel of the Channel Tunnel or 'Chunnel.'

"It is really a matter of economics," said an organisation representative. "It's just a lot easier to move the race back to France this way -- having the riders race the distance on their bikes instead of loading everything and everyone onto TGV trains."

Some critics of this move include the television media, which say their aerial coverage via helicopter will be limited. But organisers responded saying the intricate network of closed-circuit security cameras along the 50km section of tunnel will be made available to broadcasters. "Besides, the time trial is rather boring," said the same representative. "All that really matters is the start and finish, which will be outside of the tunnel entrance and exit."

as reported by www.cyclingnews.com
 

·
Old Skool
Joined
·
722 Posts
I respectfully disagree

Yes, I’ll admit it seems a bit contrived but it is definitely a first. Let’s give the promoters the benefit of the doubt on this one. It might turn out to be really cool.
 

·
wheel to wheel
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Apparently there is more than a fair bit of political intrigue behind this move.

From the Londonderry Flier:

"The British Cycling Federation, long incensed a not having produced a TdF winner since the middle portions of the Hundred Years' War, and upset that local boy David Millar has grown a moustache and signed with an opposition Spanish team, pulled out all the stops and negotiated this special TT with the ASG in the hopes that Millar will see the light at the end of the chunnel, sign with the soon-to-be-formed Frogsahoppin team, and pull off an unprecedented TdF triple: stage win, maillot jawn, and hour-record, all in the same stage.

BCF spokesperson April Phuolen was recently (well, today, actually) quoted, saying, "We are really excited! We have all hopes that Dave will return to the UK in order to focus on this feat!!"

Millar himself, taciturn as ever, simply stated, "Well, I might...what's one more tunnel, after what I've been through?"

Aero guru John Cobb has agreed to advise Millar on how to better maintain a stiff upper lip during the most demanding portions of the chunnel stage, and in order to combat the gusty conditions presented by the numerous exhaust fans is developing a TT helmet based on Lord Admiral Nelson's hat. "As soon as I can figure out how to integrate those horrendous Oakleys Dave likes, we'll be ready for final testing. I'm predicting incredible results!!", Cobb said."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
Are you guys freakin' awake?

Stogaguy said:
Yes, I’ll admit it seems a bit contrived but it is definitely a first. Let’s give the promoters the benefit of the doubt on this one. It might turn out to be really cool.
Remember what day it is. Thanks for playing, and it appears you got owned by a fake story.
 

·
wheel to wheel
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
magnolialover said:
Remember what day it is. Thanks for playing, and it appears you got owned by a fake story.
I swear, mags, it's all true!!!

I'm surprised you haven't come across any of this info yourself.

Apparently, Cobb is also developing a dimpled velvet skinsuit for Millar, but I haven't seen it yet.
Top secret.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
Millar...

cadence90 said:
I swear, mags, it's all true!!!

I'm surprised you haven't come across any of this info yourself.

Apparently, Cobb is also developing a dimpled velvet skinsuit for Millar, but I haven't seen it yet.
Top secret.
Millar is a doping POS. That's all I have to say about him. He would be the only person I would think about putting a stick into his front wheel during the prologue of the TDF. I wouldn't do it, but I would think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
magnolialover said:
Millar is a doping POS. That's all I have to say about him. He would be the only person I would think about putting a stick into his front wheel during the prologue of the TDF. I wouldn't do it, but I would think about.
And I thought you were liberal minded!

Does that only apply to rehabilitated criminals and not rehabilitated dopers?
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top