Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
philippec said:
I like it!
What is ASO's play here? When the teams/riders sided with them at Paris-Nice they effectively killed the PT and the organizers won the fight, so why persist?

Is it to drive the UCI into the ground so the organizers can really put the UCI back in it's place and negotiate a return to the traditional way cycling was organized? Are they trying to force UCI to suspend French riders (or riders in general) since FFC will sanction the race, from the Olympics to bring that issue to a head in the hopes that the IOC abandons the UCI as well?

Verbruggen is seeing his dreams of becoming cycling's Bernie Ecclestone going up in flames.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
What is ASO's play here?
Good question. I have no facts to support this theory, but here it is anyway: Why not three leagues - French, Italian, and Spanish. Each with similar rules, but governed locally. The UCI could continue with the World Champs, but that would be its only relevance.

Is it to drive the UCI into the ground so the organizers can really put the UCI back in it's place and negotiate a return to the traditional way cycling was organized? Are they trying to force UCI to suspend French riders (or riders in general) since FFC will sanction the race, from the Olympics to bring that issue to a head in the hopes that the IOC abandons the UCI as well?
I don't think it could be accomplished this year. It would then require all nations with cyclists to petition for entry using a broken set of rules. Much too messy. If the UCI tried to ban the French they'd probably petition the IOC demanding entry, and the IOC could probably therefore direct the UCI to play ball.

Verbruggen is seeing his dreams of becoming cycling's Bernie Ecclestone going up in flames.
Agreed. The PT is dead.

JSR

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
philippec said:
Well, with a little effort on his part, he could still become cycling's Max Mosley!!:thumbsup:
You had to go there....although I am sure there are many in cycling who would like to Heni get whipped by a bunch of hookers in Nazi stormtrooper uniforms.

I think what is evolving is two leagues, one with all the big races and the other with the worlds. The less the UCI is involved in cycling the better it will be

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,329 Posts
JSR said:
Agreed. The PT is dead.

JSR
The PT was a boneheaded idea from the get go.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
bigpinkt said:
I think what is evolving is two leagues, one with all the big races and the other with the worlds. The less the UCI is involved in cycling the better it will be
With ASO buying that big chunk of the Vuelta it's looking that way, especially if that group promotes some of the other big race, not sure that they do though. And the UCI would only control one worlds because no doubt the new federation would also hold a world championships :)

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
With ASO buying that big chunk of the Vuelta it's looking that way, especially if that group promotes some of the other big race, not sure that they do though. And the UCI would only control one worlds because no doubt the new federation would also hold a world championships :)
Isn't it an IOC rule that there can only be one representative organization? - TF

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Isn't it an IOC rule that there can only be one representative organization? - TF
I believe so, but what road cyclists give two shits about the Olympics other than Bettini :)

Seriously, what cyclist is going to choose a shot at a gold medal once every 4 years over annual participation in the most important races out there?

The only riders it would really hurt are the few trackie/roadies since the trackies seem to live for stuff like the Olympics.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
I believe so, but what road cyclists give two shits about the Olympics other than Bettini :)

Seriously, what cyclist is going to choose a shot at a gold medal once every 4 years over annual participation in the most important races out there?

The only riders it would really hurt are the few trackie/roadies since the trackies seem to live for stuff like the Olympics.
What else do trackies have to live for? - TF

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
What else do trackies have to live for? - TF
Exactly, but to 99% of roadies the Olympics is just one more important race and no where on the stature of big classics or important stage race. If there is going to be a split the UCI better start lining up some races in their camp that matter.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Well I am surprised the USA Cycling hasn't tried to butt-in..they seem to be butting in on all the local and regional cycling orgs around the US and into Canada, too.

How bout the fact that to race with BC Masters Cycling Association, an American has to buy a $100 UCI-sanctioned USA Cycling International license and then...every race across the border..I live a few hours from Canada..I have to write or call USA Cycling to get them to send me a race-specific "letter of permission" so I can do the race..Talk about "over-regulation"..

USA Cycling is also giving our local racing orgs. a difficult time in Oregon and Washington because riders would rather race with them and they aren't 'buying" the USA Cycling program any more. They (USA C.) seem to be trying the Big Squeeze just lately to put down all the regional groups that have been springing up, happy and willing to do what USA cycling seems to not...namely, make bike races easy to enter, run good races, work with organizers to make them simple, etc.

Sounds like there is another opportunity to Butt-in over in Europe, to grab some power, to build a better fifedom for the officials..Sounds like the UCI, the French and the Amis...the "empire-builders" all have about the same mind-set...Mee Meee meeee! Sheesh! What about the riders?
Don Hanson

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Well I think there is little doubt most national federations with side with the UCI, the French one is the only one that appears to be abandoning them at the moment. And really, I would think most US race organizers would stay with the UCI. Races that lack much significance are just the kind of races that benefit from the UCI's ProTour and their globalization effort. I can't see Tour of California or Georgia or whatever going over if there is a split, like the Tour Down Under if they get on the ProTour calendar it benefits them because prestigious teams are forced to come to their race. Of course the problem becomes if there is a split and teams can't race in both leagues which do they choose? I can't imagine the UCI could come up with an alternative TdF or Paris-Roubaix, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.