Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive not even looked to see if Andy schleck will be riding in the TDF, but he is my pick to win the Yellow Jersey... I expect a srong showing from CSC for their Last Season with that sponsor....

Still want to see ASTANA get an invite... AND TURN IT DOWN! :D

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Feels a bit early for this thread, but I'll play along.

I think it comes down to Evans versus Valverde. The question is "Can Valverde continue to TT like he did during the Dauphine?" If he does, then he will be very hard to beat. I've got this feeling that Valverde has one more gear left for the mountains, and I think that Evans might lose just a little time there.

Menchov is a good dark horse, but he is just a tad behind in climbing ability. Damiano Cunego is another dark horse, however his TT is going to cost him, and I don't think the can drop Evans and Valverde with authority in the mountains.

I wouldn't be surprised if some young, relatively unknown comes of age.

All that to say Valverde will be my pick, Evans second.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
Valverde, Menchov, Cunego will try for it, Schleck. Evans cracks and fails, ends up 3rd or 4th. Soler with a really outside chance.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Menchov is a good dark horse, but he is just a tad behind in climbing ability.
Maybe, certainly I don't think of Menchov as one of the great climbers, but Menchov did climb with (or ahead of) Evans in the Vuelta last year, and he mostly stayed with Contador and some of the others in the this year's Giro, which he was riding for training.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
From the time I knew Astana wasn't invited, my pick has been Alejandro Valverde.

It's the same now.

Cadel for 2nd perhaps.

Menchov for the last podium spot.

Schleck can't TT well enough.

Cunego might fight it out but a top 5 (5th) is more likely in my books. Who knows for sure though but that's my pick.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Everybody sounds like they are all in agreement...
The top 5 are all called out... Valverde, Evans, Menchov, Schleck, Cunego...
(btw - those all sound like pretty good picks, barring any crashes, or doping charges, j/k)

Any favs outside of these obvious contenders. Ricardo Ricco? Soler? Lovkvist?
Some young climber that will be an unknown til he wins a pair of mt stages this season?

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Yeah Oscarito is another of my favorites. The way he rode in Switzerland is a good indicator.

Overall... meh everytime I try to think about it I wake up a few minutes later in a puddle of drool.

·
Registered
137 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
Because all the other real top 5 GC'ers are out of the tour.

I really want Valverde to win it, but I think Evans is slightly better at the 3 week GT than Valverde. I would be elated if Evans loses it to anybody. He makes for a boring tour.
Amen bro. I'll consider this Tour enjoyable if there are no scandals and anyone wins other than that wanker Evans.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.