Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TdF'16 Stage08 Jul09 Discussion Thread - Spoilers.

--On Friday, Nibali did try to use the breakaway as a stepping stool to be a major contender making a big move. It worked. Kind of.

I thought Cancellara might make a move, and for a moment it seemed like he would - this would have been a good day for it.

Valverde continues to show up like a bad penny.

Froome is in the proverbial catbird seat, probably surfing social media on an Apple Watch as his team expertly shepherds him along. Like last year, TJ is in the mix...

This stage has climbing. Major fall-out and shelling ahead...

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I have looked over the finish. This looks familiar - I will have to see if they ran a stage this way, or opposite direction, in the last couple of Tours.

For those who survive Tourmalet, after 60 miles of pedaling, then survives three more categorized climbs, the reward will be a cool downhill of about 8 miles, from Col de Peyresourde, a descent of about 1,000 metres, that does not look too daunting, then a fairly pleasant left turn and a decent mile and a half to the finish line in Bagneres de Luchon.

So, anyone hoping to sustain a lead on the final 10 miles will have to follow Rule #5; it will not be easy to hold off challengers.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
And for the first course, we have this nice leisurely climb up the Tourmalet!

Personally, I wish this stage was ending on the Peyresourde - though that might be considered cruel and unusual ;-)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
You're right it does look like a fimiliar route.

Unless Valverde gets around to loosing that time he keeps claiming he's going to loose because he wants to get in a breakaway and go stage hunting, he'll be there at the end of this stage sa well. Apparently Movistar has again stated that Quintana needs to follow Valverde on decents to have any confidence in going down them.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I find that so weird - I guy who lives in the high mountains of Columbia can't descend well - WTH?

·
NewRoadEnthusiast-Again
103 Posts
NBCSN is showing Mecam car auction today instead of The Tour. Grrrrrr...

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Good ol' Froome dog. Using time honored tactics today.

Not sure where the quote or saying came from initially, but it goes something like:

"When training climbs, don't coast over the top. Train to put it in the big ring as you crest and hammer it down. Train to bury your opponents when they are in the red, at the top of the climb. That's when you attack, when they are hurting the worst. Train to kill."

[video=dailymotion;x4jw4pn]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4jw4pn[/video]

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
One of the greatest descents ever. Wow.

LOL at Kelly saying "Oh my God...I'm scared" so you know it's a good one.

He must have been practising that pedal style on Mallorca, it looks impossible. Quintana and Valverde will be kicking themselves for being caught off guard by a rookie mistake. Coasting over the top and getting a bottle while your rival takes off. They were not worried for a while, still chatting, must have been sure they could catch him. Wrong!

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, my guess was close. I thought there would be one non-threatening winner, then this rare-air group of contenders, with one or a few trying to break off the front for the final downhill, where there obviously was an opportunity, but a narrow one.

Well-played, Froome - and chapeau to his team, getting him this far with the energy to go into time-trial riding for the final few KM.

Who was drinking at the final crest? Was that Quintana? I was like, 'you cannot be drinking now!'

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2014, stage 16 ended in the same town, but came down from a different peak - from Port de Bales. That's why it looked familiar.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Who was drinking at the final crest? Was that Quintana? I was like, 'you cannot be drinking now!'

Nairo Q said:
"When he goes, it's hard to stay with him but I've trained specifically to respond to his attacks and not lose ground," Quintana told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"In the past, on Mont Ventoux, and La Pierre Saint Martin, I was the rider who lost least time to Chris but that's not enough anymore. I think I've improved as a rider and matured too. I've learnt how to manage my strength and understand the moment when I've got to be 100% ready, while also being relaxed and confident."

'I've trained specifically to respond to his attacks'

·
Registered
666 Posts
Another satisfying stage. great tour so far. now we need an injection of drama, some sort of substory.
That punch was likely deserved... some of the fans have really been jackasses in recent years, and that guy was close enough to brush riders or worse. And Froome for one has had to put up with more than any other rider from the bad ones (urine). But it may come back and haunt him a little, in part because he connected so well. If the guy is a whiner he could file assault blah blah blah.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I have to say that I've never been much of a Chris Froome fan. I certainly recognize that he's a great cyclist, but I always thought that he was kind of boring to watch. His main strength is his climbing ability, but he mostly just stays in the saddle and powers his way up. Well that certainly changed today - he was definitely out of the saddle on that final descent. And punching out that idiot fan on the road was the icing on the cake.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts