Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TdF'16 Stage11 Jul13 Discussion Thread. $po\ler$.

A long sprinter stage. Ventoux tomorrow!

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's Sagan time. With Contodor out, there is no excuses, I should see a bunch of flourecent green tinkoff jerseys leading Sagan to a wheelie victory.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For how long can you sustain 40 MPH in the wind?!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Man, there's 2 Sky and 2 Tinkov's out front with 5 miles to go. This is good stuff! Not sure they can hold it, but kudos to Froome for getting in this break. I'm hoping Sagan gets another win!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Sagan and Froome getting a little gap at the front with about 7 miles left. Sneaky!
Certainly different tactics for the GC than years past. Nice

Cav is done. Puncture.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they are about to turn southeast, and head to the finish. they will finally have a tailwind...

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You make your own luck.

Sky gets credit, now, for their unconventional strategy of keeping their GC contender up at the very front on every spring stage.

Here, the peleton got shredded by wind, Froome had Thomas pull out an amazing performance, and Froome grabs a few more seconds, with Quintana unable to answer.

Time-wise not too much difference. But psychologically, this is a stake to the heart.

Can Froome bounce back and hold place on a serious mountain stage? Followed by a time trial that otherwise seems very well suited for him?

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Sprinters get mad when Froome is up front for sprint stages.

Froome gets mad when sprint train lead-outs coast back through the pack causing a time gap between him and the sprint finish.

Froome doesn't like time gaps.

Froome will be at the front on sprint stages.

Sprint teams are going to have to either deal with it or find a better way for their train to peel off, plain and simple.

As for the stage today: Well... good luck shitting on Froome after this tour. He's proving he's got balls this year.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Velonews has a story with this quote from Quintana about stage danger:

"they want a spectacle but they don’t realize they’re putting us in very dangerous situations"

What danger is he talking about? Riding ten miles from the cost of France?

I cannot find this interview anywhere else.

2016 Tour de France, stage 11 - VeloNews.com

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Sagan, Skeletor and a couple of faithful domestiques show everyone how it's done today. Chapeau!!
Another fun day - due, in part, to mother nature :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
that must have been a massive surprise for the spectators in the last 5km .. suddenly the race approaches and it is WTF is going on??? :D yellow and green and no peleton??

not a boring TDF at all. Froome solo breakaway win. Sagan on the attack every fricken day. and now this

though Froome got a stroke of luck after the race ... they have decided to shorten the Ventoux stage. They will not do the top 5km of the exposed mountain due to 100km winds. So whatever Froome lost digging deep today, Quintana has less of an advantage from it. Tour de France: Ventoux stage shortened due to risk of 100km/h winds | Cyclingnews.com

·
Registered
174 Posts
I loved seeing the multiple echelon groups forming and re-coalescing depending on the twists and turns of the road and the subsequent head/tail/cross-winds.

Much like everyone else, it was great to see the surprising breakaway at the end. Especially compared to the breakaway yesterday where everyone was attacking Sagan vs. today with a very nice cooperative effort.

It's been an exciting TdF so far!

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
daaang, lots of action today...! def NOT a boring Tour.

seeing yellow and green in the break was tres' exciting.

have totally changed my opinion of Froome, guy has stones and can produce. good on him...

Sagan is on track for Green Jersey No. 5. nice streak...

but, my boy Niro looks doomed...

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was disappointing to see Contador drop out, because he was probably the biggest threat to Froome at the Tour start. But after today's stage, I'm going to agree with Ostox, Froome has stones. It's nice to see the yellow jersey taking it to the peloton. That last 7k with two Tinkoff and two Sky riders putting the hammer down made a flat stage one of the most exciting of the race so far.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I should see a bunch of flourecent green tinkoff jerseys leading Sagan to a wheelie victory.
Very good prediction.

Movistar has hung onto the Sky train but fell off today.

Sky and Tinkoff were racing to win today while Movistar were riding and trying not to lose. Sagan said they looked for a chance and took it. Yellow and Green in a winning break, that's proper Tour racing. G said Sagan was a real monster and kept saying he couldn't believe how hard Sagan could pull. Him and Froomey could barely hang on when Sagan did a turn.

The wind and echelons caught a lot by surprise. Cavendish said he thought he could still win until he had his mechanical. (Broken rear derailleur BTW) He thought he was still at the back of the main peloton and only realised how big the splits were after he saw the video replay.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts