Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Nullifying a result because the organizers know they screwed up is not favoring Froome. What is the precedent if they do nothing? Fans are free to interfere in the race and the result is just tough luck for those affected? French fans start tackling all the non-French contenders?

Get a grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that maybe something of that sort has been done.

I'm thinking that the Italians have probably come to the aide of the Italians at the Giro, Tour too.

Oh, and we don't want to forget the Spanish, they've got theirs to protect also.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
OK, I get that. Everyone likes it. It's still making it up as you go. And your logic about Froome? You skipped that? In the example I give, does some domestique get a time bonus? Dumoulin was just asking for his time bonus because he was interfered with... Yeah, he's being sarcastic, but I think a lot of truth is told in that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Incredibly, situations arise from time to time in sports where the rules are not clear or don't apply. This happens in all sports, and should not come as such a shock in a sport conducted on public roads before large crowds and in virtually all weather conditions. Golf is another sport that relies on stewards for such judgement calls, though played on much more controlled courses. Certainly not getting my undies in a bunch over it, and neither is (almost) anyone else.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Bad timing? Was Froome checking his computer at the wrong moment? Or looking down to see where he was crashing? I thought the latter.
Porte was the first to crash, and he definitely wasn't looking anywhere but up the road.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
So, by your logic, if a fan makes contact with a rider and crashes them, they will get special consideration in all cases? It being Froome has no bearing? And I'm to get a grip? Yea, they screwed up. Absolutely no argument. But it's arbitrary and high handed.

This was not just a fan making contact with a rider, this was a whole lot of drunken knuckleheads turning the whole final kilometer into disarray. It's what you call extraordinary circumstances.

It isn't the 1st time a Grand Tour has been shortened on the fly like this, snow in the mountains have moved the finish line up after the break has made it to the finish.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Incredibly, situations arise from time to time in sports where the rules are not clear or don't apply. This happens in all sports, and should not come as such a shock in a sport conducted on public roads before large crowds and in virtually all weather conditions. Golf is another sport that relies on stewards for such judgement calls, though played on much more controlled courses. Certainly not getting my undies in a bunch over it, and neither is (almost) anyone else.

I'm clearly the minority... I just think deus ex machina has no place in sports. I get the public risk thing, no doubt about it... But again, they are only going to do this for one rider. That get my knickers in a bunch.

·
Registered
27,481 Posts
I'm clearly the minority... I just think deus ex machina has no place in sports. I get the public risk thing, no doubt about it... But again, they are only going to do this for one rider. That get my knickers in a bunch.

Race organizers also gave time for a bunch of other riders stopped in this crash. They are clearly taking responsibility for all the riders, not singling out Froome because he's the reigning champ. Froome was already up front. They just let him keep his position in the overall standings, same as the other riders held up in the crash.

·
Registered
27,481 Posts
This was not just a fan making contact with a rider, this was a whole lot of drunken knuckleheads turning the whole final kilometer into disarray. It's what you call extraordinary circumstances.

It isn't the 1st time a Grand Tour has been shortened on the fly like this, snow in the mountains have moved the finish line up after the break has made it to the finish.
You hit it. The only mistake race organizers made was moving up the finish line 6 km without also moving up the barriers! :idea: They could have at least separated the crowd. Maybe they couldn't.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts

Rules don't apply in a straightforward way when a course does not conform to race protocols, as the course on Ventoux didn't (lack of barriers, signage, etc.). It was the result of the ASO being unable to conform to those protocols which caused the incident. And it was a lot more than a stray fan. It was a complete breakdown of the course due to hugely overwhelming numbers of fans. The logistics surrounding course protocols at the TdF are by far the most complex of any sporting event, so it's not entirely the ASO's fault, but it was their responsibility along with the UCI commissioners to determine a fair outcome. Disqualifying Froome would have been ridiculous (Quntano also hung on to a motorcycle, which provides far more benefit than running). The result was a fair one given all the extenuating circumstances.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Rules don't apply in a straightforward way when a course does not conform to race protocols, as the course on Ventoux didn't (lack of barriers, signage, etc.). It was the result of the ASO being unable to conform to those protocols which caused the incident. And it was a lot more than a stray fan. It was a complete breakdown of the course due to hugely overwhelming numbers of fans. The logistics surrounding course protocols at the TdF are by far the most complex of any sporting event, so it's not entirely the ASO's fault, but it was their responsibility along with the UCI commissioners to determine a fair outcome. Disqualifying Froome would have been ridiculous (Quntano also hung on to a motorcycle, which provides far more benefit than running). The result was a fair one given all the extenuating circumstances.
Fair... I agree. Largely (and because y'all are wearing me down on this, haha). Froome lost his head. That kind of breakdown causes people to lose championships. He broke the rules. Broke! He advanced without his bike. He should be accountable for making a colossally bad decision. And no, I don't care about the heat of the moment... Great athletes win championships.because they don't do that.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
perhaps watch another sport? you seem to be clueless about this one.
Still waiting for your rules post? I'm clueless, I need your help. Where is your rules post supporting how clueless I am? Hello? Still there? I should watch another sport... Can you justify your snarky BS post with a rules reply or not?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Why is Porte helping Froome so much in the first place? If I'm his DS I'm telling him to ride Froome's wheel, but no way he should be working for him. And this is not the first time this has happened. He seems to forger he is no longer with Sky. Also to me Froome was reaping e benefits of Porte's work so he should also have to suffer the consequence when his "pacer" doesn't "see" the moto. Mollema got screwed rather than being rewarded for his athletic ability of getting up first and getting to the finish.

·
Registered
27,481 Posts
Fair... I agree. Largely (and because y'all are wearing me down on this, haha). Froome lost his head. That kind of breakdown causes people to lose championships. He broke the rules. Broke! He advanced without his bike. He should be accountable for making a colossally bad decision. And no, I don't care about the heat of the moment... Great athletes win championships.because they don't do that.

Can we give poor Froome credit for making up for his egregious error yesterday by going 1:47 back into the lead after today's TTs?

The guy's no wimp, ya gotta admit that. He's training up for the mountain stages.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Why is Porte helping Froome so much in the first place? If I'm his DS I'm telling him to ride Froome's wheel, but no way he should be working for him. And this is not the first time this has happened. He seems to forger he is no longer with Sky. Also to me Froome was reaping e benefits of Porte's work so he should also have to suffer the consequence when his "pacer" doesn't "see" the moto. Mollema got screwed rather than being rewarded for his athletic ability of getting up first and getting to the finish.
Did you actually watch any of the videos of the crash?
Riders in breaks take turns at the front, Porte just happened to be the one in front when the motorcycle suddenly stopped. It would not have mattered who was in front, the crash still would have happened.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
So cycling has no rules for this type of ish? Just a group of guys sitting around asking each other: "so what's your thoughts on this"?
They have what's called a jury. No way rules can be adopted for every situation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been looking through the regulations to find the rule regarding advancing with out your bicycle. The closest rule related to this that I can find is:

"1.2.109 The rider may cross the finish line on foot, provided that has his bicycle with him."/B]

Going to keep looking for a while if anyone knows a more specific regulation please share.

This is where I found them: Regulations

A lot of these rules seem loosely enforced anyways. Like this one right before it:

"1.2.108 Unless otherwise stated, each rider shall, in order to be classified, complete the race entirely through his own effort, without the assistance of any other person."/B]

So team mechanics shouldn't be pushing riders the get them going after a break down?

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Can we give poor Froome credit for making up for his egregious error yesterday by going 1:47 back into the lead after today's TTs?

The guy's no wimp, ya gotta admit that. He's training up for the mountain stages.
he's a monster. He's a machine. He's crushing his competition. He is a great cyclist. That's why this matters so much. He ate the back of a motorcycle and ran without his bicycle so the jury just decided to be the hand of God and make that go away because they don't like that result.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts