Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TdF'16 Stage19 Jul22 Discussion Thread. Spoilers.

Wow! The short but tortuous time trial really played a role in these final days!

Now, two mountain stages before Paris!

Discuss!

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I would say that it looked like an idiot fan tried to sabotage Froome by throwing a bag or piece of clothing right out in front of him. That person should be arrested and charged with attempted murder or something. SO DANGEROUS.

I'm not a Froome fanboy, I would be just as angry to see that happen to the red lantern. Unbelievable. Did anybody else catch it? Announcers didn't see/mention it.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say that it looked like an idiot fan tried to sabotage Froome by throwing a bag or piece of clothing right out in front of him. That person should be arrested and charged with attempted murder or something. SO DANGEROUS.

I'm not a Froome fanboy, I would be just as angry to see that happen to the red lantern. Unbelievable. Did anybody else catch it? Announcers didn't see/mention it.
I saw it - like a sunflower-yellow soccer ("football" for you nationally-impaired) penalty flag.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everyone holds their place, and really holds about the same time gaps, down through sixth.
Mollema keeps half-minute advantage over Yates. Both had incredible rides.
Quntana still a narrow half minute behind.

Valverde jumps a step ahead of Aru, and Martin step ahead of Meintjes.

At seventh place, Valverde is less than two minutes from the podium.
It seems like anyone from seventh up through fourth could have things go their way on these final two stages and podium.
Maybe eighth: Aru, 2 and a half minutes down from third place.

For Valverde/Quintana, the team decision is tricky. Quintana could pull Valverde in these next two, then let Valverde launch -
me, I wold bet on Movistar to podium if I knew that were the plan for Movistar.
If their plan is to hope Quintana shows up Mollema and Yates, with Valverde pulling Quintana, I would bet against.
Valverde did drop off toward the end of yesterday's mountain stage, so he would need help.

TJ could pull Porte and vault Porte onto the podium. These next two stages might show whether TJ can grow as a GC rider in this way, the way Porte showed in pulling Froome.

Any other thoughts on what to watch for?

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This stage is like college finals on your toughest semester. You tackle Biology and Calculus finals, then see that two days later you have Physics. And you are like, "wha? SRSLY?"

This classic Alp mountain stage has six significant climbs. The ride begins uphill 5 miles to a peak that is not categorized, then to a cat1, Col de la Forciaz de Montmin, at 25 miles. A complementary descent leads to a flat of about 8 miles, then a tough but short cat2 climb, and a matchgin downhil, then immediate turn into trouble: Montee de Bisanne.

This will be a 10 miler up this hors categorie climb. Many will fall off the back here.

Those who can make it all the way up are reawrded with a long downhill, overall, for almost 30 miles, but then face the final climb.

This six mile final climb, a cat1 up Le Bettex, leads to the mountain finish.

Seeing how consistent the standings have been amongst the favored overall riders, it isw hard to imagine any major upsets. But this stage provides the geography to be a game-changer.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mid-way climb: Bisanne

Yellow Green Line Black World Main climb, mid-way: Bisanne.
They will ride bearing north on D123, from the center bottom of this pic to center top, with peak/points just about where the yellow "D123" label is on this map, top/center, just to the right a bit. The approach is on D123 from mid-pic on the right to the left, where it says "bisanne 1500," then switches back to the right to the yellow D123 label.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Final climb: Bettex. Pic.

Yellow Brown Text Red Line Final climb: Bettex. Pic.

They will come west toeat at top of this pic, on D909, and turn south onto D43 where it says "saint martin."
They ride south on D43 until it meets D343, where the word "Le Gollet" is.
They then twist heading west on D343.
I cannot tell exactly where finish is, but it is somewhere from the label Choseaux" to the label "le bettex."

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Nothing to discuss from here on out. lol

Froome is unstoppable.

Sagan green once again.
The Podium is up for grabs still!

and wow, did it even get shaken up today. Great day for the French .. and somehow Froome's shadow did zero attacks and yet ... nabs a podium spot out of nowhere too.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
fresh oily tarmac and rain go together like a skating rink

funny thing about the Tour, it tends to motivate municipalities to lay down a bunch of new tarmac on the route they scored from the Tour organizers. No doubt to project a positive image for the region and perhaps boost safety for the riders .. but can backfire on them. Must have been a very oily formulation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.