Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean the last two stages have been yawners. I know the leaders on the road pose no threat to the overall and no reason to chase, but geez...the local crits are more fun to watch. I hope the TDF has some better racing.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I think that with the TOUR just around the corner. Most of the main contenders & support riders that will be going don't want to burn all their rockets too soon. They're looking at the TDS as training primarily & don't want to go too deep into the red zone.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would think that if LA wants to make an impression, he'll show what he's got. I think he has to give some indication what he can do... or... not... But this race is definitely not very intense, today's stage was up and down and I' sure tiring but nothing you can really die on.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
gh1 said:
Here's a thought, maybe LA is already testing himself and this is the best he can do.
Well, he did really well on stage 6, I thought - he was climbing better than Kloden or Leipheimer, or even Schlecks for that matter. I didn't think LA was in very good shape but I was impressed by his stage 6 performance.

The short time trial in stage 1 was not a very good performance for Armstrong, but the narrow wet roads and dangerous descent means it was more about who wanted to take all kinds of chances than true test of fitness.

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
He definitely did alright at the TDS. Based on 55x11's comment, perhaps he could have won the dern thing if he had been a little more aggressive in the first time trial.

I'm neither pro or anti Lance, but he might do fairly well coming up. Win it? Probably not. I'd guess it will look more like the '05 TdF, minus the top GC finish.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Lance would not want to "kill himself" for this race, but he would want to test himself. He would have recorded his power data on the big climb the other day, with a view to analyzing his fitness. Second on GC would be satisfying, but unimportant. He also, IMHO, would have expected today's TT to provide a final opportunity to tune his position while comparing his results to major competitors.

I'd think he would be disappointed in the TT result, while generally happy with the overall. Lance is not a one-trick pony, but the TT has been one of his most effective weapons in the past. Finishing 11th, well off the pace, is not excellent for him.

JSR

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
JSR said:
Lance would not want to "kill himself" for this race, but he would want to test himself.
Naturally, he wouldn't want to get hurt before the main event, but it just looked like he was really taking the corners a bit too cautiously and didn't seem to accelerate out of them.

I haven't studied how technical the TdF ITT routes are, but you can't neglect handling as part of a vital training routine. Just ask Menchov. :p

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I'd say that he isn't 100% happy with TT but things are moving right direction for sure. Think about his Gila TT and then the fact that he missed the final TT in LA so he may be one session behind in prep, but the improvement is there. There is now more than a month between when he has his next true TT and that is 52 flat km's. Prologue is too short to count IMO. Like others mentioned from TdS they have his final baseline numbers to work from. From here it's off to France for some final training camps and the final tweaks.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
tbb001 said:
Cancellera isn't so unbeatable now that the UCI is checking over his bikes for motors.

:D
The guy won the prologue & he finished the tour while many of the sprinters have long pulled out. On top of that, you have to look at the course & conditions. Its not always the same for everyone depending on the start time.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Seattleblu said:
I mean the last two stages have been yawners. I know the leaders on the road pose no threat to the overall and no reason to chase, but geez...the local crits are more fun to watch. I hope the TDF has some better racing.
it's a stage race (and 2 weeks before the tour). What do you expect GC contenders to do, chase down meaningless breaks for no reason?

·
What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
Interesting stage today, Gesink choked and blew it. LA on the other hand had a good enough day to move forward, and looked pretty stoked [for him!] with finishing 2nd overall and looking genuinely happy for Frank on the top step.

He just finished his final prep race 11 seconds off the top spot, and knowing that he had more to give in the wet corners if can grow the balls to comit to it when needed :D

There is not much different here to his usual pre tour results and form
than the glory years of past.

Crashing out of the TOC was probably a blessing for him - he could leave it and save face with sponsors/fans and get on with the propper training in tour prep.

Suddenly the tour just got a little more interesting :wink5:

·
Registered
249 Posts
gamara said:
The guy won the prologue & he finished the tour while many of the sprinters have long pulled out. On top of that, you have to look at the course & conditions. Its not always the same for everyone depending on the start time.
If he would have had his motor today, he would have beaten Tony Martin by over 2min, not losing by 17sec. ;) :)

The course really took a toll on him this year. He went from winning the TdS last year to finishing 56th this year (over 32min behind Schleck). Too many mountains for a powerhouse like him.

·
Administrator
13,151 Posts
The big factor was the weather- after some nasty/dangerours wet road crashes early, it seem that many of the TdF bound teams and riders rode conservatively on the often wet technical courses. A few interviews alluded to this.

Overall, the race was enjoyable to watch for me. The backgrounds alone were worth the hour per day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.