Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,356 Posts
SO wrong....SO wrong :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

· Registered
481 Posts
Wow, a company based right across the US border so it can circumvent environmental laws , pay it's employees no salary or health benefits and pump it's products full of chemicals and antibiotics.

Seems like a good choice to sponsor a cycling team.:rolleyes:

:mad: :mad2:

· Banned
328 Posts
ti-triodes said:
Wow, a company based right across the US border so it can circumvent environmental laws , pay it's employees no salary or health benefits and pump it's products full of chemicals and antibiotics.

I did not know that, I looked and it appears that is the case as American Beef is located in Chihuahua, Mexico. Where is some middle america republican senator complaining about outsourcing on this one?

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
ti-triodes said:

The company provides jobs in Mexico for Mexicans. Would you rather the Mexicans cross the border to find the jobs in the US?

I've done an audit on an American owned plant in a Mexican border town and found it to be much better than the company's American plant. The workers were well trained and motivated. The plant had no safety problems and made an excellent product.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
MikeBiker said:
The company provides jobs in Mexico for Mexicans. Would you rather the Mexicans cross the border to find the jobs in the US?

I've done an audit on an American owned plant in a Mexican border town and found it to be much better than the company's American plant. The workers were well trained and motivated. The plant had no safety problems and made an excellent product.
That's great, though I think it is pretty naive to give a blanket acquittal to labor conditions in all of Mexico based on an audit of one plant.

Regardless, its a vile industry.

· Banned
328 Posts
MikeBiker said:
Dude, if you can't see the simple irony with a company called "American Beef" having their HQ in Mexico then we can't have a conversation due to the simple foundations not being understood.

· Banned
328 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
To be fair, Mexico is on the American continent.
"The American continent" - I believe there are two continents with America in their name - North America and South America. Mexico is on the North American continent. It's not North American beef, is it? I mean look, they guys do commercials with Aaron Copland music. I think it's obvious as to their intent to try to make the viewer think it's beef from America - not a continent, but a country.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
velomonkey said:
"The American continent" - I believe there are two continents with America in their name - North America and South America. Mexico is on the North American continent. It's not North American beef, is it? I mean look, they guys do commercials with Aaron Copland music. I think it's obvious as to their intent to try to make the viewer think it's beef from America - not a continent, but a country.
Their name is not "United States of American Beef" either. I don't know (or care) where their beef is raised. American beef seems to be somewhat of a pariah on the international market anyway. If they can suck a few rubes into buying substandard meat by playing to their jingoism, that seems about right to me.

793 Posts

· Team Tom's
1,900 Posts
esven89 said:
i just saw on the scottusa website though that scott is continueing to sponsor saunier Duval?...I'm confused
Probably just haven't updated their page to reflect the new team sponsor. In other words, they were stating that they'll stay with the team as a sponsor even through all of the TdF drama.

· Banned
328 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Their name is not "United States of American Beef" either. I don't know (or care) where their beef is raised. American beef seems to be somewhat of a pariah on the international market anyway. If they can suck a few rubes into buying substandard meat by playing to their jingoism, that seems about right to me.
You're parsing and desperate. Based on your logic, which is lacking, my friend, I am sure you wouldn't care.

Hey, I got some fomundah cheese. You interested?

· Banned
328 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
This isn't a logical dispute, its a semantic one. :rolleyes:
It's a semantic conversation only when one fails to grasp the obvious logic, or lack thereof, of calling a company "American Beef" and then locating HQ in Mexico. Then again, your logic dictates that we are on "The American Continent." That's not my logic, it's yours, just look up .

Your logic, my friend, is lacking and your semantics, on a lexical and conceptual level, are a fallacy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.