Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to auction the Merckx here on RBR.

Many. many thanks to the people have donated parts and/or cash to this project.

100% of the auction amount will go towards helping Phil with Collin's medical expenses.

Here are the official rules.

1. Bids can be public via posts in this thread
2. For those that wish to remain anonymous. PM me and I will post the amount
3. The auction will close Friday September 17th at 6:00PM CST,
4. Shipping to the winning bidder is free in the continental US. I'll negotiate with international bidders on costs..
5. Payment will be made directly to Phil..

Here is what the winning bidder will receive..

Eddie Merckx AXM carbon frame. The frame is used but in excellent shape.

The seat tube 49cm center to center. 54cm center to the top of the seat collar

The top tube measures 53cm center to center...

Shimano Dura Ace 7800 group- This is a new bike take off group- never been used

Neuvation wheels- new Michelin Krylion 23c tires and tubes

Profile carbon bars

Deda carbon stem

Gobi saddle.

The auction is officially open.... Let the bidding start...

EDIT Sept 08:

Note to low and/or no post count bidders....

We reserve the right to disqualify your bid if we feel the bid is not genuine.

The bike will ship to the winner only when the money is confirmed in Phil's bank account...

If anyone pays via money order, the bike will ship one month after the funds are received by Phil.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
Question about the frame size: you say it's 54 cm from the top of the collar to the center of the BB, but I have trouble judging these things when you have curved top tubes like that. Would this frame be the same as a 54 cm frame that doesn't have a curved or sloping top tube? Or am I just embarrassingly confused? If I bid on it I just want to make sure the frame is going to be my size.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
azpeterb said:
Question about the frame size: you say it's 54 cm from the top of the collar to the center of the BB, but I have trouble judging these things when you have curved top tubes like that. Would this frame be the same as a 54 cm frame that doesn't have a curved or sloping top tube? Or am I just embarrassingly confused? If I bid on it I just want to make sure the frame is going to be my size.

I believe this is a small..The frame came in XS, S, M and L..The frame is semi-compact. It's easier to judge with the 53cm top tube. I'm 5'8" and it fits me perfect...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hmmm, seat looks too high but I'll go $550

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I believe this is a small..The frame came in XS, S, M and L..The frame is semi-compact. It's easier to judge with the 53cm top tube. I'm 5'8" and it fits me perfect...
Thanks. I'm 5' 10" and ride a 56 cm frame. I think this Merckx might be a little on the small side for me.....plus I just don't have the money to bid on it. But this is a BEAUTIFUL bike! It is going to make someone very happy, and for a great cause.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
NICE! I wish it was my size, my other bike(s) would be for sale. Good luck to everyone and thanks to all of you who helped Dave get this beauty ready!!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
1100...........................PLEASE don't tell my wife

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hey, TOG can't have my bike -- I'll go $1,150

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I've been trying to stay out of this but it's my size...

$1200
Is that $12.00 or $1,200?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts