Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember asking God to make me more like Lance Armstrong (you're welcome, ladies). Four years ago, I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. Maybe I should have been more specific.

I went through a range of emotions when I was diagnosed: fear, confusion, depression, denial. But mostly I felt anger. Anger that this disease might take me away from my family and a full lifetime of memories with Mrs. Fish, that it might keep me from seeing my daughter graduate or get married or raise a family of her own. That it might keep me from improving my poast count in Teh Lownje (ZOMGWTFBBQALT!) I vowed to fight cancer every moment, to take it out to the street and stomp it, to throw down the gloves and give it a Broad Street Bullies-style whupping. I've been in the battle ever since.

A lot of Teh Lownje knows my cancer story and you've been instrumental in my survival. My team came together and I was incredibly blessed to have a strong family, an incredible team of doctors and nurses, and a group of friends who supported me in ways I never would have or could have imagined. They visited me, cooked for my family, cut my lawn, delivered care packages, e-mailed me, prayed for me, and supported me in my fight. I learned cancer, and more importantly, surviving cancer, is about people coming together.

Three years ago, we formed Team Fish or Cut Bait and went to the LiveSTRONG Challenge, a 100-mile bike ride in Philadelphia, to raise money to fight cancer. The first Challenge featured my brother, Patfish Hunter, and I riding through what was one of the most difficult and most amazing things I have ever done. Difficult because it was about 100 degrees with Pennsylvania's legendary humidity (if it's not hazy, hot, and humid, it's not August). Amazing because of the incredible outpouring of support I received and the people I met along the way. I was THE very LAST person to cross the line of the 2007 LiveSTRONG Challenge. Yet, I can still hear the P-A system announcer saying: “NOW CROSSING THE LINE, NUMBER 468, ROBERT DUFFIELD. SURVIVOR!”

What started as my brother and I riding and a small, dedicated group of supporters who helped raise nearly $1,000 has evolved into a team of riders, and features nearly 100 people pledging their support to help us fight cancer and raising more than $4,000. Team Fish continues to grow because of the generous support we have received.

As Teh Lownje knows, it's been a tough year. Last year, I dedicated a good portion of my ride to Collin. This year, I'll ride in his memory, thinking of the brave fight he put up, and how he inspired so many of us to be better people, how he still does it. As I was writing this, I heard from a guy I barely knew, a husband and father of two young children who is gearing up for the fight of his life and looking for answers. A man who helped form the foundations of my faith was diagnosed this year, and my Uncle Ted as well. We ride for all of them, for our friends and family and those dealing with the diagnosis of a mom or dad, a friend, a brother or sister, or even a child. You'll meet a lot of them throughout the course of the ramp-up to this year's event.

And so I am asking Teh Lownje to join Team Fish or Cut Bait once again. My friend Greg kicked things off in grand style, covering the ENTIRE RACE INSTALLMENT for me. My friend Bob quickly followed suit to get me started off and moving, and for their gifts I am eternally grateful. If you'd like to join them and be part of Team Fish, we would LOVE to have you with us. I assure you no amount is too small -- all I want is to have you stand with us.

It's easy: CLICK HERE to make a donation and become part of the team, and thank you.

Now, who's with us?

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Go Fishr! Go Fishr! :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snapdragen said:
Go Fishr! Go Fishr! :D :D :D
We're powered by Skittles, you know?

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chain said:
Go Fish... We need to do some butnz for you again.

BUTNZ! from Chain = FTW! I heart teh BUTNZ...see also:

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
If I didn't just go through a wedding and the lack of training thereof (I could probably still hack it with what remains of my early season fitness) I'd be there.

Did it last year, and it was amazing.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rward325 said:
Donation made and prayers sent to all involved and affected!

If life is fair, someday you and I will ride in one of these together my friend. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Creakyknees said:

I still owe you a pixxor from last year...and, I remember teh parameters, and like that.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
robdamanii said:
If I didn't just go through a wedding and the lack of training thereof (I could probably still hack it with what remains of my early season fitness) I'd be there.

Did it last year, and it was amazing.

HTFU.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I may have reason to be in Pittsburgh later this year or spring of next. I actually have family there that I have been wanting to see.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rward325 said:
I may have reason to be in Pittsburgh later this year or spring of next. I actually have family there that I have been wanting to see.

Hmmmmmmm....well, that could be fun. And like that. Maybe Mr and Mrs MB1 could ride with us...if they want to slow down that much.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Team Fish just cleared it's first $1,000!!!!11!1!!eleventy!! Thank you so much!

August 22nd is quickly approaching but we are making our preparations and we'll be ready. There's still loads of time to join Team Fish by making a contribution HERE. A huge thank you to those of you who have already joined us, and an equally huge thank you to those of you who have contacted me with your pledges of support. I'm looking forward to having you with us.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Awesome fishr. Just waiting for payday.......don't let me forget!

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
snapdragen said:
Awesome fishr. Just waiting for payday.......don't let me forget!

Thanks, J...looking forward to having you on Team Fish again.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you want to join Team Fish, you're welcome to do so. I'll get the tattoo/branding info to you and you can think of a team handshake.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy Carp!!!1!eleventy!1!! I went away for 5 days (camping with Li'l Fish) and came back to find Team Fish has cleared $2,000. A huge thanks to those of you who have already joined us. I appreciate it so much and am proud to have you on the Team.

(Also, I just cleaned out my Inbox, if you've been trying to PM me - sorry). Also, Chain is working on new BUTNZ, and like that.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts