Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings Friends-

On January 19th I attended a Team In Training meeting and committed to cycling 100 miles in support of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The ride occurs June 4th around Lake Tahoe, CA and I hope to complete fundraising $2,100 by March 31st to focus on training. This challenge is minimal compared to the daily struggles of those with blood cancers.

More information is available at the following:
(http://www.active.com/donations/fundraise_public.cfm?key=tntsacRHoffma)
(www.teamintraining.org)
(www.lls.org)

Thank you for your consideration,
TB

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ryan,
My wife did the TNT thing last year for this very ride. Very scenic and picturesque. It can be very cold so dress appropriately. We had some 40 mile per hour winds as we came down the last descent. Might even do the ride this year. good luck
Your friendly neighborhood spiderman :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perspective

magnolialover-

I understand your point - however my intention is to reach out to as many people as possible (both close friends and previously unknown cycling enthusiasts). While many in the RBR.com community are no doubt veterans or current participants in similar programs, I thought it would be possible that some might find this opportunity interesting and worthwhile. The Spyder's post is a great example, and was just the type of advice/support I was hoping for.

I do not want to offend anyone (especially as someone new to the road bike scene), and felt that if a rider did not feel this cause important or my approach valid, they could simply ignore my post with no harm done.

TB

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Always do some research before giving.

tuckerbretton said:
Greetings Friends-

On January 19th I attended a Team In Training (www.teamintraining.org) meeting and committed to cycling 100 miles in support of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (www.lls.org). The ride occurs June 4th around Lake Tahoe, CA and I hope to complete fundraising $2,100 by March 31st to focus on training. This challenge is minimal compared to the daily struggles of those with blood cancers.

Sincerely,
Ryan
Now if you want to give because it is a bike ride that is one thing. OTOH if you want your money to be used well you can research charities at Charity Navigator. The LLS has only a 2 star rating out of 4 possible. There are other similar charities with similar goals listed that have 4 star ratings.

Here is the link;
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/search.summary/orgid/3993.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks For Feedback

I have made the suggested edits as seems appropriate - I know there are many worthy causes out there and many cyclists that do amazing things in support of these groups. Good luck to everyone trying to do good things.

TB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ratings for Large Charities

MB1 said:
The LLS has only a 2 star rating out of 4 possible. There are other similar charities with similar goals listed that have 4 star ratings.
Great website. Charity Navigator provides it's methodology here:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/content.view/catid/2/cpid/35.htm

It is true that the LLS was rated at 2 stars, but to put it in perspective, other organizations with 2 star ratings include the American Cancer Society, American Lung Association (National HQ), and American Diabetes Association, just to name a few. The Komen Foundation, with it's national series of 5K Fun Runs, was rated at 3 stars. This is not to make excuses, just to echo MB1's sentiment that it is important to know what you are getting into and where your contributions are going.

I am still excited about my participation with TNT and involvement with the LLS. My friends who are TNT veterans have all had very positive experiences, and I am looking forward to the road ahead (both in training and fundraising).

Any TNT veterans out there want to share their stories?

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
You should edit your post to exclude the link to your fundraising page. There are dozens of users of RBR that raise tons of money every year for charities.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
TNT vet

tuckerbretton said:
Any TNT veterans out there want to share their stories?
In 2001 I bought my first road bike and knew no road riders in my area. I decided to train for the 2002 Santa Fe Century (local event for me) with TNT in order to have people to train with. My sister had trained for a marathon with the organization and had a very good experience. Also our dad had been diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia a couple years before.

My training group was small but a lot of fun. The coach was very experienced and really drilled us in good handling skills and road etiquette in addition to getting us the miles. I finished the century with a great time for a rookie, 6 hours. Through the TNT group I met road riders who introduced me to a regular riding group that I still ride with every Sunday (mostly) to this day.

My dad died this last December, but I am really glad that I had the chance to contribute even in a small way to the L&LS.

Best of luck in your training. Ride the event with a fun attitude, respect for your fellow riders and do the TNT program proud. Thanks for your efforts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As a TNT participant in 4 marathons I applaud your commitment to this fine organization. Once you, your family or friends are touched by cancer, TNT and similar organizations provide an excellent and tangible means of offering hope in some strange sense, of fighting back. Regardless of the number of stars, TNT is a fine organization and provides excellent coaching for it's particpants especially at the entry level. That said, this year I have reached "fundraising overload" and am taking a year off from fundraising. However I'm still running another marathon with a TNT alumni group which now includes my daughter who this year signed on as a mentor.

Good luck,

Sam

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
tuckerbretton said:
Greetings Friends-

On January 19th I attended a Team In Training meeting and committed to cycling 100 miles in support of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The ride occurs June 4th around Lake Tahoe, CA and I hope to complete fundraising $2,100 by March 31st to focus on training. This challenge is minimal compared to the daily struggles of those with blood cancers.

More information is available at the following:
(http://www.active.com/donations/fundraise_public.cfm?key=tntsacRHoffma)
(www.teamintraining.org)
(www.lls.org)

Thank you for your consideration,
TB

hey, I'll support big TiT events.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts