Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Dr. Flats a lot
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year Verge really, really dropped the ball. We still don't have our full kits. After years with them, I need to move on to a different supplier and wanted to see how other racers have fared with other companies making custom gear. Here's my list of possibile alternatives;
1.Louis Garneau- I'm ready to send them the check. We got some samples I really, really liked. Drawbacks are really high minimums on things like hats and socks. I really want a rain cape and windproof vest for the team and nothing seems to exactly fit in this catagory...or maybe I don't know the line well enough. Like they have custom helmets but the prices truely suck on these.
2.Champion System- I actually have one of their kits from a pro team I am on staff with. I love their jacket and vest. HATE their chamois. Nice prices. Had a lame customer service experience with them. Plus I just don't like ordering stuff from China. Not that I am a xenophobe but I hate giving money to people who have had nothing to do with the culture or sport of cycling and for all they care could be making bowling shoes. Basically Champion Systems gear has no soul. Sorry but it's true.
3.Voler-Not a big fan of the prices. I've had their gear in the past but have never been really impressed by them. My college team was supplied by voler and all of my old jerseys from then have malfunctioning zippers.
4.Craft-I love Craft gear. I've got lot's of their winter gear, running gear, baselayers, gloves. But they are expensive are distributed through the same guys who do verge and are made in the same factory as the verge gear. But it is sooooo gorgeous. We'd have no money left for race fees if we did full Craft kits.

anyone else I should consider? my impressions totally off on any of these guys?

thanks

· P=NP?
263 Posts
I really like our Hincapie clothes, but our collegiate conference has a deal with them, so we get them cheaper. We had a good experience with them - friendly, helpful customer interactions, delivered when promised, understanding (we returned the samples a week late, and they didn't even mention it).

· Registered
902 Posts
Well if you don't mind a slight increase in price point, take a look at Capoforma custom (aka Marcello Bergamo). The materials are good quality and suitable for moderate climates and also offer both partial and full zip jerseys. Have not tried their skinsuits (yet) but if they are on par with the bibs, well while not everyone will agree, I find the Capoforma M1 bibs to be very comfortable - slightly better than Demarchi - when compared to other bibs such as Castelli, Sugoi, Verge, and Voler. Our team has been using Pactimo for the past two years and while price and non-minimum reordering made the deal attractive, I have not been overly impressed with either the jerseys or the bibs both of which seems more suited to taller riders but again, others will have different thoughts.

· Registered
443 Posts
Yep, we're using Girodana (sp?) and they too are being painfully slow. We ordered over a month ago (after approving the design) and it looks like it's going to be another TWO MONTHS. It definately shouldn't take that long. :mad2: We're going to have to race half the season without kits. :cryin:

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
My old team used to get our kits from Pactimo. Decent prices, nice kit. Some problems with getting the stuff but we did get it on time. Low minimums, too. I'm STILL waiting for my new team kit. AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH. Here's the linky;http://www.pactimo.com/

· Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
For what it's worth, my college team used Louis Garneau for a while before I got there. One year when I was there we switched to Verge, then immediately switched back to Garneau the following year. Verge had easier minimums I believe, but everyone missed the fit and overall quality that the Garneau stuff had.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
zoikz said:
This year Verge really, really dropped the ball. We still don't have our full kits. After years with them, I need to move on to a different supplier and wanted to see how other racers have fared with other companies making custom gear. Here's my list of possibile alternatives;
1.Louis Garneau- I'm ready to send them the check. We got some samples I really, really liked. Drawbacks are really high minimums on things like hats and socks. I really want a rain cape and windproof vest for the team and nothing seems to exactly fit in this catagory...or maybe I don't know the line well enough. Like they have custom helmets but the prices truely suck on these.
2.Champion System- I actually have one of their kits from a pro team I am on staff with. I love their jacket and vest. HATE their chamois. Nice prices. Had a lame customer service experience with them. Plus I just don't like ordering stuff from China. Not that I am a xenophobe but I hate giving money to people who have had nothing to do with the culture or sport of cycling and for all they care could be making bowling shoes. Basically Champion Systems gear has no soul. Sorry but it's true.
3.Voler-Not a big fan of the prices. I've had their gear in the past but have never been really impressed by them. My college team was supplied by voler and all of my old jerseys from then have malfunctioning zippers.
4.Craft-I love Craft gear. I've got lot's of their winter gear, running gear, baselayers, gloves. But they are expensive are distributed through the same guys who do verge and are made in the same factory as the verge gear. But it is sooooo gorgeous. We'd have no money left for race fees if we did full Craft kits.

anyone else I should consider? my impressions totally off on any of these guys?

thanks
I'm sure plenty of Europeans feel the same way about Trek and Cannondale.

· Registered
227 Posts
flyboy50 said:
Yep, we're using Girodana (sp?) and they too are being painfully slow. We ordered over a month ago (after approving the design) and it looks like it's going to be another TWO MONTHS. It definately shouldn't take that long. :mad2: We're going to have to race half the season without kits. :cryin:
12 weeks from order to delivery is about the norm with almost every custom clothing company. I've worked with Verge, Gita/Giordana, Pactimo, Hincapie,Louis Garneau and Capoforma over the last 10 years and have NEVER seen clothing delivered in under 12 weeks. If you don't have your order in by December, you are already behind the game. It's just something you should plan on.

Quality-wise - I think that all of the above are pretty solid - except for Pactimo. I never really liked their stuff. The lycra was thin and didn't hold up well. Their hats were made out of jersey material and were pretty cool.

We are currently in Capoforma and I think it's the most comfortable clothing that I've had in a while. About the only thing I would say is better is Assos, but not by a whole lot.

· chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Lots of Garneau experience

I have had many, many kits from LG over the years. But I live in Canada so I am dealing with the Canadian arm of the company. I believe the US custom work is routed through LG USA based in Vermont but the construction probably happens in Quebec.

Overall, Garneau is pretty hard to beat. They have good pricing, good quality and their delivery is usually quite accurate. Over the years I can only think of one time where they delivered about 2 weeks late and that was quite a few years ago. If you are a small club, they have semi-custom options available, these templates are cheaper and the pre-construction process goes very quickly. The full-custom program can result in many iterations of artwork approval, so that time has to be factored in. The 12 week quote is from when the purchaser signs off on all the artwork and places the 50% deposit.

I have also had custom kit experience with Sugoi and Giordana. Sugoi was many years ago they were OK but they did make a major screw-up on the bib shorts. To their credit they re-did them, but I doubt a similar mistake would have happened with Garneau. Giordana did the clothing for the club I was affiliated with in 2007 - great quality garments with fantastic color, but quite late on the delivery.

For 2008 I am with a small squad and we are using a local company called ATAC Sportswear (bikeatac.com). They outfit UCI Continental squad Symmetrics. Like others in this thread, we are waiting right now for our kit but that is mostly our fault as we did not get things taken care of early enough and now even with "connections" at ATAC we are stuck in the queue.

· Registered
235 Posts
I have experience with Hincapie (jerseys:zippers suck, but fit is nice and racy, material a bit rough; bibs: good chamois, loooong legs give you the Lance-like full coverage look, high front to the bibs make it hard to pee on the side of the road without hunching over and looking like some sicko; vests have no back pockets), Verge (well constructed but thin Lycra and crappy chamois with awful bib straps; nice enough jerseys) and Voler (just a lower price point with poorer quality);

LG is hard to beat. LG gives you a lot of choices with material, chamois etc; Their vests are nice because they have pockets on the back mesh part; the jerseys fit a bit more narrow in the shoulders than Hincapie or Verge meaning some people with wider shoulders might be forced into a slightly looser fitting body of the jersey. The material is very nice with durable zippers; Bib straps very comfortable; caps nice but bill a bit long; gloves great - very comfortable;

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
We use Voler.
I've never had a problem with their stuff. The bibs (with the ass-banner) seem to last a long time, and the jerseys fit well.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
ZBikeWear

We are using Zbikewear. I had never heard of them until the kits arrived in plenty of time after ordering them. I believe we put the order in around Feb 10, and had the kits by April. So, around 10-12 weeks. probably should have ordered sooner.

Anyway, as to quality, construction, etc.....Nothing to complain about. Some have mentioned the chammy being thin, but I disagree. That could be because I'm pretty beefy in the backside, so I have extra padding that a smaller, slighter build rider might not have. The leg grippers do a great job, and the bibs are cut just right; not too small, not too large. In fact, I'm wearing a L in the bibs this year. I could probably have stood an XL to get longer on the legs, but they really are adequate. And the prices are super good too. As for the jersey, full zip, no complaints. It's not going to blow the doors off of some of the higher end kits, but it's comfortable, if cut a little on the snug size. Just means I can't put on any more weight. Heheee...Anyway, here's a link if you're still interested...www.zbikewear.com....

· Registered
239 Posts
clothes

a few I've used

Capo - super quality, comfort. Pricey & large mins though. Jerseys definitely cut for racers, not, err, typical American body types.

Craft - They made some changes this year in who is doing their custom, I don't know if the Verge reference is still true, just make sure you have current info on them. When I looked into them their min orders were not that high.

Verge - my least favorite of any I have used. Skinsuit fit well but their chamois was like sandpaper.

Voler - competent quality, I actually prefer their women's chamois to their men's top of the line (I ride a lot of their shorts due to my Hammer Nutrition sponsorship). Fit has been inconsistent though over the last 2 seasons, some of my size med shorts fit great, others nearly cut off the circulation to my legs. Really like their thermal jacket & vest. Arm warmers have no stretch to them.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.