Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just watching OLN coverage of the Giro today, and Phil Leggett states that Milram should be DQ from the tour. He says they have been working for Paolo Bettini of Quick Step. How many stages has this happen in so far?:confused: I have not been watching much.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I saw that too and was wondering what the diqual would stem from. I could't help think of last year when the two Davitamin Lotto riders helped Salvoldelli on the Finestre stage when they were chasing Diluca, Simoni and Rojano.

Without them I don't think he would have won the Giro. this has to be common occurrence, I have even heard Paul and Phil comment on money underneath the table.

J

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I think Phil..

is getting mind problems. He also talked about Panaria losing thier top sprinter Graham Browne earlier in the Giro. Well, Browne now rides for Rabobank, not Panairia. I've noticed he's made quite a few mistakes this year. I'm sure Paul and Bobke have to notice this as well.

Maybe Bettini is riding for Milram next year. Rumur has it he's looking for a new team and his contract is up. You really can't blame him.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I noticed the Panaria / Browne flub, too.

But I think he's right that the Milram boys are helping bettini out; now that there's no ale-jet, why not?

Switching makes sense for him -- it's the only way to get out of a big, belgian shadow named boonen.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I like Bettini and all, but he is getting up towards the end of his peak (Around 33 years of age). It might be too late for a team to make him the centerpiece. Milram doesn't make sense as it would be more of the same (except he'd also have Zabel's shadow for those secondary races that Petacchi didn't want).

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Mosovich said:
is getting mind problems. He also talked about Panaria losing thier top sprinter Graham Browne earlier in the Giro. Well, Browne now rides for Rabobank, not Panairia. I've noticed he's made quite a few mistakes this year. I'm sure Paul and Bobke have to notice this as well.

Maybe Bettini is riding for Milram next year. Rumur has it he's looking for a new team and his contract is up. You really can't blame him.

At least the jerseys are the similiar colors, right? (orange)

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
fletchnj05 said:
I was just watching OLN coverage of the Giro today, and Phil Leggett states that Milram should be DQ from the tour. He says they have been working for Paolo Bettini of Quick Step. How many stages has this happen in so far?:confused: I have not been watching much.
Technically you can be DQed for collusion with another team.

With Petacchi out, Milram may as well drop out of the race. Why not take a few bucks of prize money and get some favors in the bank from QS. It's all under the table but not unheard of.

Silas

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
fletchnj05 said:
I'm not sure what Liggett is talking about? Milram has been working the sprint finishes for Lorenzetto and/or Ongorato and complaining about riders like McEwen profitting from their preparation of the sprint.

I didn't see the finish of the bunch yesterday. Did Milram obviously lead out Bettini?

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
well even without Petacchi

Milram needs to drill their leadout. They have the tour coming (most likely leading out Zabel) so the practice isn't going to hurt them. They will try to release Ongarato but if another sprinter (Bettini) uses it they still get the practice in they need. Makes sense to me, get some good work in, earns some favors and possibly court Bettini.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.