Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could provide some insight in to team tactics for me, would help me understand the race better. I would think OLN would speak more to this

For example, in the TDF last year, a guy from T Mobile let's say would try to break out of the peloton. Then Discovery would try to chase him down to protect Lance. How are they protecting Lance? Is the idea to have a team member chase him down, then Lance can draft his team member?

What's the problem if Lance wants to just ride at the front "unprotected"? What could happen? Are they concerned about physically being bumped, knocked down, etc? Or is it mainly to give him someone to draft on?

What are team tactics going uphill, if any? Seems like you just slog it out, which would make sense because drafting isn't an issue uphill.

thanks!

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
rugger said:
What's the problem if Lance wants to just ride at the front "unprotected"? What could happen? Are they concerned about physically being bumped, knocked down, etc? Or is it mainly to give him someone to draft on?
Pretty much all bike racing strategy stems from drafting. The fact that it takes less power (and therefore energy) to ride at the same speed as another rider when you're drafting is the fundamental reason bike racing has strategies and team tactics. If it did not, it would be running, and we all know how interesting a running race can be :)

"Protecting" a team leader generally means shielding him from the wind thereby allowing him to travel at whatever speed they are moving while putting out less (often considerably less) power than whoever is "in the wind".

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
rugger said:
For example, in the TDF last year, a guy from T Mobile let's say would try to break out of the peloton. Then Discovery would try to chase him down to protect Lance. How are they protecting Lance? Is the idea to have a team member chase him down, then Lance can draft his team member?
Let's say the T-Mobile rider is pretty highly placed say somewhere in the top 20, maybe about 7 minutes down from LA. If the rider get into a successful breakaway and is able to gain say, 5 minutes on LA thus placing him within a couple of minutes of the yellow jersey. This would give T-mobile another weapon to use against LA and Disco.

Last year Ullrich was the man for T-Mobile with Vino in the wings. If Vinokourov had been closer timewise to Armstrong, T-Mob could have played the two riders off of each other in the mountains. Let Vino attack and make Disco have to reel him in until Disco or Lance himself is burned up. Then Lance is isolated/weak and Ullrich can attack. Hey, wait a sec, this happened in the Pyrenees last year and ulp, Ullrich reeled Vino in! DOH!!! :rolleyes:

It's drafting and pacing mainly. But as Phil and Paul say, it's also good to have someone with you in case you puncture. Your teammate can just hand you his wheel and you don't have to wait for the team car or neutral service vehicle to pull up. Your teammate can also help control attacks or tow you back to the pack if for some reason you do have to stop and maybe get another bike or something.

What are team tactics going uphill, if any? Seems like you just slog it out, which would make sense because drafting isn't an issue uphill.
Same as above. Pacing, control attacks, good to have someone there to give you a wheel if you puncture.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Same as above. Pacing, control attacks, good to have someone there to give you a wheel if you puncture.

For climbing team tactics... see Sastre yesterday, or just about any TDF stages for Lance in the past few years. Numbers can give you advantage. Lance and Basso just tell their boys to keep upping the pace. As Lance or Basso sits in second, third, fourth wheel, or whatever.... As the tempo keeps up or goes faster, guys tend to pop off the back, gaps form and as the teammates peel off, they can see how much damage they are doing. Then it leaves their strong rider basically to do only the remainder of the work, which works ... sometimes... (just dont look at Simoni's team yesterday... his team did all the work only to pop Simoni too....)

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
funknuggets said:
Quote:
QUOTE]

I think you have to appreciate that at the speeds those guys climb there is often an effect of drafting, not as much as on the flats but nonetheless still an effect. Only on the steepest of hills do top-level pros probably slow down to the point that it would be every man for himself.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help fellas, I kinda figured that was what was going on, but I wondered if I was missing something. Would apprecaite any other insights for tactics, get to learn the game within the game.

What about offensive tactics?

·
cog-it-goes ergo sum
120 Posts
rugger said:
What about offensive tactics?
I think a lot of the tactics described above are both offensive and defensive. For example, upping the pace by a team (on the flats near a sprint finish or on a climb) is offensive in that it sheds lesser riders; it's defensive in that it really discourages attacks.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
isolate your enemies

run such a hot tempo that it makes it impossible for the more 'pure climbers' to launch an attack. Crush your opposition psychologically as team leaders and climbing honches get popped while you sit comfortable surrounded by your top doms who seem on better form than 90% of the peloton. It mostly hurts the pure climbers as they prefer shifts in tempo and when pace slows they launch. Sastre did monster rhythm yesterday running a tempo so steady and fast that no one was gonna leap ahead of them. When he was about done Cunego took his shot and Basso squashed it.

G

·
What atpjunkie said. Alot of riders refer to this as closing doors on or breaking leashes to other ridres - that's the pyschological part. You just have to most people thinking that you are too strong to beat that day, and you've won half the battle. Same sort of thing when I used to run track/x-country. With sprint finishes it's a different game - and McEwen is one of the masters of the game, vs Pettachi's or Boonen's straight out power. The best sprinters are born fighter, so their psycology is different (though bettini really seems to be mental defeated this year).

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
funknuggets said:
Quote:
QUOTE]

I think you have to appreciate that at the speeds those guys climb there is often an effect of drafting, not as much as on the flats but nonetheless still an effect. Only on the steepest of hills do top-level pros probably slow down to the point that it would be every man for himself.
Wind also factors in (see Mt.Ventoux). Also, just having a wheel to follow is great boon psychologically, takes the pressure off and that's a lot when you're on the button. This applies to most, not all (see Marco Pantani).

G

·
so what are the strategies as you get closer to the finish say 3 miles out. i know you try to lead out your main sprinter but im assuming theirs more to it than that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It is also a phychological blow to an attacking rider, who finds that another rider from a different team is protecting his team leader by countering the attack and sticking on his wheel as they approach the finish, not taking a pull and leaving the attacker to exert more effort. Only to have the counter attacker blast by at the last minute and take the stage, mountain or flat still applies. Example Hincapie over Perreiro in last years TDF, or Valverde over Armstrong same race.

Another benefit of this counter move is that it also allows other pursuing riders to catch up or limit time losses by working together, more riders are usually faster than one lone attacker with a guy drafting on him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.