Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welp, add another $500 to an already overpriced bike.
You certainly could be right. They will be taking their lessons from BMC and Cannondale. It kind of makes sense for bike manufacturers to be the primary sponsors for cycling teams though since they have the most to lose or gain from the growth or success that pro cycling has or doesn't have.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Suspect some Vacans riders will find a new home here - those Bianchi colored Treks won't fool anybody though!

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suspect some Vacans riders will find a new home here - those Bianchi colored Treks won't fool anybody though!
We'll see. It's an American sponsor now though, so you can expect them to try to land some more Americsn talent and racers from other places their bikes sell well. They also will be in search of a new big time GC guy since Andy really isn't producing anymore.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Seems like most of the American talent is spoken for on other teams - Westra (Dutch) and DeGendt (Belgian) come from countries where lots of bikes are sold - just sayin'

Also, I suspect winning races will trump nationality here. I see a very international team with perhaps a Columbian replacing a Luxembourger in Grand Tours and a Swiss as Classics Captain.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Their team will definitely stay diverse, but I think they will seek out a few Americans if they can find/steal them. Remember, this is the house that Lance built and if they can get their hands on a Dombrowski, Tejay or Talansky, when their contracts are up, they will likely overpay to do so. Fabian will remain Classics leader as long as they can keep him. There have even been rumors of a merger with Swiss team I AM (a team he has been rumored to be interested in possibly joining).

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Their team will definitely stay diverse, but I think they will seek out a few Americans if they can find/steal them. Remember, this is the house that Lance built and if they can get their hands on a Dombrowski, Tejay or Talansky, when their contracts are up, they will likely overpay to do so. Fabian will remain Classics leader as long as they can keep him. There have even been rumors of a merger with Swiss team I AM (a team he has been rumored to be interested in possibly joining).
They would have to pay top dollar for van Garderen, but could very well run away with Joe or Andrew at some point as you suggest. The IAM cycling aspect could prove interesting in the future - but I suspect Fabian will want to stay with Trek as long as they build a team that can support him in the Spring and keep paying him well. Trek's media profile is also a great plus - except for the Armstrong association that they poured big bucks into building and is now a big negative for Trek's image.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
I'd think the team will pursue Porte or Uran.
And would be wise to do so - both if they can get them away from Sky.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.