Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
It's all ball bearings
Joined
·
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what point does it become necessary to race on a team? If I am starting out as a cat 4 this season and have the goal of catting up to 3 by the end of the season, is it unlikely that I'll get there by racing solo? The 4/5's at my local race series are typically about 75% team riders and 25% solo riders...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
In my part of the country, team tactics are a very small part of the 4's racing.
The benefit of being on a team, especially in the 4's is you get to train with other faster and more experinced riders. So in that sense you should get on a team.

It is probably too late to get on a team anyway, since uniforms and such were ordered in the winter.



BenWA said:
At what point does it become necessary to race on a team? If I am starting out as a cat 4 this season and have the goal of catting up to 3 by the end of the season, is it unlikely that I'll get there by racing solo? The 4/5's at my local race series are typically about 75% team riders and 25% solo riders...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
Teamwork and cat. 4 races (not)

BenWA said:
At what point does it become necessary to race on a team? If I am starting out as a cat 4 this season and have the goal of catting up to 3 by the end of the season, is it unlikely that I'll get there by racing solo? The 4/5's at my local race series are typically about 75% team riders and 25% solo riders...
I agree with EricNM - team support usually doesn't play much of a role at the cat. 4 level. This is for a variety of reasons: Inexperience of the riders; wide variation in fitness levels; and the short distances of the races. Finish order for cat. 4 races frequently come down to who has best final "kick" more than anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
Don't assume that team = teamwork. As others have said, team tactics at that level are uncommon. They may talk about it before and after but few teams actually execute a plan once rolling off the start line.

Cat. 4 teams wear the same kit to help recognize each other after the race. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,095 Posts
even if the team worked together, it wouldn't necessarily improve your results. if you're racing as a team, you're supposed to designate who is going to sacrifice themselves for the greater good (the guy who can win). Unless that's you, and it's unlikely that it would be you as a new member unless you're so gifted that you leap over others who have been paying their dues, your results should suffer.
 

·
It's all ball bearings
Joined
·
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input so far. So what about cat 3's? Can you survive as a solo cat 3(particularly if they combine cat's 1/2/3), or is it generally time to get on a team once you are cat 3? How does this change depending on the type of race (longer single RRs versus short circuit race series)?
 

·
Squirrel Hunter
Joined
·
3,806 Posts
Secret Team

As a Cat 4 you can easily recruit your own secret team at each race. The tactics of teams are so obvious and often they have to verbally remind their teamates what to do so you will also know the plan. Simply find a team that kind of looks like they know what they are doing and use them to help you cover breaks and lead you out. Smaller teams work better as they do not have extra guys to waste on false attacks and hopeless breaks.

Spend this season finding out what team you might be interested in racing on. That way you will make a wise choice instead of a rushed choice.

biknben said:
Cat. 4 teams wear the same kit to help recognize each other after the race. :D
Very nice! I have a couple of teamates who race so rarely that it helps to spot them when they ocassionally show up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
Even in the Cat 3s it seams the team factor is not big. But a team is for more then just people to work with in a race. Teams host races. This is how we all give back to the sport we enjoy. If you aren't on a team I recommend you make it a point to volunteer at a race. This sport is supported almost totaly by its praticipants. Being on a team has other benifits. Shop affiliation gives discounts. Others to train with. You'll represent biz that support cycling.

I highly recommend fidding a team to join.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,083 Posts
BenWA said:
Thanks for the input so far. So what about cat 3's? Can you survive as a solo cat 3(particularly if they combine cat's 1/2/3), or is it generally time to get on a team once you are cat 3? How does this change depending on the type of race (longer single RRs versus short circuit race series)?
While I sorta agree with the naysayers that teamwork is rare among the amateur ranks, I'll also be one to defend it as a special thing. It takes some work to seek out a team that is going to have racers who are committed to one another and who put the team above individual results. For a lot of people, sacrificing the possibility of personal results (even when the reality of the quality of the field makes that possibility pretty unlikely) is very difficult. However, when that rare group comes together, it makes racing REALLY fun.

Also, dunno about you, but in my own personal case, I'm gonna top out as a cat 3. I picked the wrong profession and the wrong parents and the wrong children to give me the time to train more and the genetic predisposition to make significant use of additional training time even if I had it. So in my case, the likelihood of a podium spot is slim. But if I can play a part for a team, however small, it makes going to the races worthwhile because I can live vicariously through the victories of my teammates.

Finally, outside of the races, a team gives you a group of people to carpool with too and from the races and to train with and share a beer with. Good stuff all.

YMMV.
 

·
It's all ball bearings
Joined
·
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shawndoggy said:
Also, dunno about you, but in my own personal case, I'm gonna top out as a cat 3. I picked the wrong profession and the wrong parents and the wrong children to give me the time to train more and the genetic predisposition to make significant use of additional training time even if I had it.
Roger that! I'm with you there.

Thanks for the other thoughts about other benefits of being on a team.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top