Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding for the past couple years, and have gotten into racing this year. My questions are these, what does it take to join a team, what are the time costs and does anyone prefer to remain solo? I am still Cat 5, should be Cat 4 by the end of the season so I know team tactics don't really play much importance in these races.

The problem is, I live quite a distance from any organized teams. I ride with a few local guys, one a Cat 3 who belongs to a team about 2 hours drive time away. Other than that, there aren't a lot of racers or fast rec riders. I would like to get in with a team but don't really know about the process. Thanks for any help or advice!

(If there are posts about this already, just point me there)

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Basically at this point in your cycling a "team" is just a club, good for friends and riding buddies.

Usually all you have to do to join is ask, and buy a jersey. Sometimes there's smallish dues, like $30 a year. Sometimes you get minor discounts at a local shop or with a vendor or two. If you're not racing Elite category (Cat 1 or 2), you usually don't get much else.

If the teams are too far away, then it's probably not going to help you all that much. One of the big benefits of a team is a source of carpools to races that are far away.

I think at this point you could go either way and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I agree with above post but wanted to add that staying solo might be best at this juncture. Your time is your own but for me if your teammates are not geographically favorable then you can loose valuable time on the bike just trying to hook up with them.
Get to cat2. When your on your way to becoming the fastest guy around they'll come to you.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
an important aspect of a team or club is giving back to the sport in terms of hosting a race. If you don't join a team please consider volunteering for a few races. (they will often comp your entry if you give some time)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.