Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (4 weeks ago) purchased an 2008 Roubaix Expert with Ultegra SL. I have been riding a custom steel bike for ten years and was looking for something new, but I really loved the comfort and road feel of my current bike. I primarilly ride and train for centuries and double centuries. I test rode several bikes and the Roubaix had many of the same ride characteristics as my steel bike.

After several weeks of riding I'm quite impressed with the bike. I was expecting a better climbing bike due to the fact that I was dropping 4-plus lbs., and I wasn't disappointed. The one attribute that really stands out is the improved descending. This is something I wasn't expecting.
The Roubaix really carves up the downhill corners.

Likes -
road feel - smooth, handling is quick but not too quick, it feels snappy almost like steel (I always heard that carbon had a dead feeling)
Ultegra SL - works great hopefully the finish will hold up
overall cosmetics - great frame shape, nice paint
weight - 18.0 lbs has seen photo (not racer light but much lighter than my previous ride)

Dislikes -
Toupe saddle - hurt from the get-go and never improved (replaced it with a Fizik Aliante)
Spec. Roubaix tires - seemed to have a high degree of rolling resistence (no facts to back up this assumption), too colorful !, too wide, and too gummy - they seemed to pick up every piece of road grit (replaced with some contis)

Overall I am very happy with the bike. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
marknelson said:
Welcome to "Team Zertz", I sorta like that name, I just ordered a 2009 Expert myself!
Yeah - I always teased my two friends with "Zertz" equiped bikes by calling them "Team Zertz" whenever I saw them on a group ride. I never thought I would join them. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
LOL - I became a member of Team Zertz earlier this month when I picked up a Roubaix Expert.

I agree on the tires...I replaced them with Schwalbe Ultremos.

Saddle.....I may be ditching the Toupe as well. It's OK with new shorts but torture with an older chamois.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.