Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
a$$hole
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely love my EC90 SL carbon clinchers. I've also decided to start training using power. So after considering my options I've decided to buy a Powertap Pro+. Was going to have it built up around a Kinlin 270, but I think I've decided I'm going to have my EC90 SL carbon clincher built up around the Powertap.

Bad idea? Good idea?

·
a$$hole
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wetpaint said:
Have you considered getting a Quarq or SRM? That way, you can run any wheel you want.
Considered it, but after consideration I decided a PowerTap was the better option for ME, PERSONALLY.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I think it's a great idea. You are ahead of the game. Trying to keep the budget as low as possible finding one wheel you like enough to race and train on is smart. I wish I would have done the same when I bought my powertap. I'm using the EA50 but if I could do it over I might do the EC90SL-c or a deeper Edge/Enve. I was unsure of the carbon clincher durability and chickened out.

·
a$$hole
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woody, I would actually use an Edge but I'm on a budget and just bought the EC90SL-cc set 2 months ago so that set me back a bit. I should have built the Powertap two months ago, but I didn't. So I'm working with what I have. I absolutely love my Easton set, so I figure I'll use the rear and replace the hub with a Powertap. Then I'll have a nice wheelset and with the Powertap Pro+ laced up to the Easton EC90SL Carbon that should provide me a wheel that is trainable AND race worthy...which is exactly what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
IAmSpecialized said:
Woody, I would actually use an Edge but I'm on a budget and just bought the EC90SL-cc set 2 months ago so that set me back a bit. I should have built the Powertap two months ago, but I didn't. So I'm working with what I have. I absolutely love my Easton set, so I figure I'll use the rear and replace the hub with a Powertap. Then I'll have a nice wheelset and with the Powertap Pro+ laced up to the Easton EC90SL Carbon that should provide me a wheel that is trainable AND race worthy...which is exactly what I'm looking for.
I am happy for you man! PT Pro+ and EC90 is a dangerous combo and really as good as anything out there imho. Maybe I'll sell my EA50/PT Pro+ and my EC90 SLX to fund a similar build...damn you.:thumbsup:

·
a$$hole
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah Woody, I'm so stoked. Ron Ruff is doing the build for me, so I have complete confidence it will be right! I expect to get back a PowerTap Easton EC90-c as though it were built by Easton...if not a bit better?

My big thing going with the PowerTap is that I'm currently riding a Tarmac SL3. Just started doing road races the last couple of months, and I'm not willing to race the SL3 in cat 5 crits. I'm building up an Allez frame to race in crits in the spring, so with this wheel I can easily swap between bikes, race, and train. It's the perfect all rounder for me I think. :)

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Smart. Something that helped me with the PT was reading "Racing And Training With A Powermeter" 2nd ed. by Allen and Coggan. The 16 week FTP and 8 week peak plans are a very good blueprint you can follow to train smart and keep you on target to reach your goals.

Good luck racing! Crits are a blast!

·
a$$hole
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up Woody. I've just ordered the book you references from Barnes and Noble. I was going to start looking for a book to get started with, so thanks.

It will be very different for me once I'm actually doing a training "regimen." I'm not really used to having numbers to go by...at least not power numbers. I definitely think it's going to make a big difference for me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
How did the EC90SL with powertap build go? I'm leaning that way right now too but wanted to see what it's like before committing.

·
a$$hole
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How did the EC90SL with powertap build go? I'm leaning that way right now too but wanted to see what it's like before committing.
I had a horrible experience with the Easton carbon clinchers. Hubs were ****. Breaking spokes every time I turned around, and I only weigh 148-152 pounds. Two areas about an inch long in the rear wheel where the breaking surface warped. I eventually tossed the wheelset in the dumpster, literally. Then I had the PowerTap laced up to an ENVE .45 which ended up being PERFECT. I've not had a single problem with the ENVE wheel.

I've since relaced the ENVE up to a DT 240 and it's one of my race wheels. For power I'm using a Quarq, and I like it a lot. My Powertap is currently laced up to a DT 4450 and is my "spare" PM and is mounted on my "bad weather" bike.

·
Registered
183 Posts
oh man that sucks! I've never had any problems with mine (2011 version), and have about 1500km's on them and I weigh 170ish. Wanted to go with a power tap. Was it your Easton hub that caused all your issues? I'd be using a power tap G3.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts