Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Cheap tubes, threaded stems, and bad form with the pump.

Look for smooth valve stems. Try spitting on the stem before pumping so it comes off easier. Loosen the chuck of your pump if it is too tight.

· Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
My best offer is: Change over to Michelin tubes that are not threaded. Also poor pumping tecnique can cause stem tearout. Check for sharp edges around the inside surface of the stem hole(inside is where the tube sits, not betreen the double walls of the rim.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
You may be a little too aggresive when detaching the pump head. Another little tip is to loosen the stem nut some, or just take it off completely if it's a presta valve. Just try to keep the thumb lock straight when you unlock the chuck, then just pop it off the stem.

This works even on cheap tubes, if you're careful.

· Registered
838 Posts
Sometimes it's the pump. On Ride The Rockies, I watched five people in ten minutes tear the valve stems off with the set of pumps they set out early in the morning. The pumps were highly overused and worn out. Half the pumps wouldn't grab enough to hold a seal, and the other half grabbed so tightly that they wouldn't let go. It was the latter that caused all the problems.

Get a new pump. And yes, be very gentle when removing it.

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Campi Head

I am using a Silca Frame Pump with a Campi head. There is no thumb lock on the head. Perhaps I would be better off changing the pump. I must say that I get decent pressure with the pump.

· Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
Amazing

daniell said:
I am using a Silca Frame Pump with a Campi head. There is no thumb lock on the head. Perhaps I would be better off changing the pump. I must say that I get decent pressure with the pump.
You are the first that I ever heard that stated they got good pressure from a Silca frame pump. They have great floor pumps though!!

· Registered
284 Posts
Push it off, not pull

I used to have this problem and it was suggested to spit on the valve to lube it a bit and then to be sure and push the pump off. For example, if the wheel is on the bike, have the valve at the top, not the bottom or side, and the push evenly with both hands down and it pops right off. When you pull it off, it is easy to get an angled pull which is a part of the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.