Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On too many occasions I tear the valve while pumping my tires with a frame pump. Perhaps I am not holding it steady enough. I checked the rim hole, and found no sharp edges. I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,425 Posts
User error.

Back when I used a frame pump, I would wrap my thumb over the tire to prevent the jerking movement that might tear the valve.
 

·
Steaming piles of opinion
Joined
·
10,503 Posts
daniell said:
On too many occasions I tear the valve while pumping my tires with a frame pump. Perhaps I am not holding it steady enough. I checked the rim hole, and found no sharp edges. I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks
Do you use it with the wheel on the bike?

If you do - Don't. That's not what it's meant for and is begging for trouble.

It's a repair tool, meant to be used when fixing a flat - meaning the wheel is off the bike anyway. Held properly with a fist around the head and wheel, there won't be a problem.

For everyday inflation, use a floor pump. Much easier anyway.


If using it with the wheel off of the bike, the most reliable method I've found is to lay the wheel flat on the ground, resting the pump head also on the ground (a curb sometimes comes in handy), and using the pump vertically. It's also biomechanically easier than pushing hand against hand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Valve nut

Are you using the little nut that screws down on the valve stem? Some riders toss them because, well, they weigh probably close to a half-gram each. I find that they help hold the stem steady while pumping -- still have to be careful, but they help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,633 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
User error.

Back when I used a frame pump, I would wrap my thumb over the tire to prevent the jerking movement that might tear the valve.
I would have agreed with this answer for 25 years. In the last 5 or so I've lost more tubes to valve stems separating from the rest of the tube than any other problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Torn Valve

danl1 said:
Do you use it with the wheel on the bike?

If you do - Don't. That's not what it's meant for and is begging for trouble.

It's a repair tool, meant to be used when fixing a flat - meaning the wheel is off the bike anyway. Held properly with a fist around the head and wheel, there won't be a problem.

For everyday inflation, use a floor pump. Much easier anyway.


If using it with the wheel off of the bike, the most reliable method I've found is to lay the wheel flat on the ground, resting the pump head also on the ground (a curb sometimes comes in handy), and using the pump vertically. It's also biomechanically easier than pushing hand against hand.
I only use the frame fit pump (Silca) on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Technique

I used to have the same problem. When using a frame pump, after attaching the pump valve to the tube, put the valve in the 12 o'clock position and hold the pump with both hands and inflate the tire. The tire/wheel will bounce around but it will not harm the valve stem. With my new bike, I can't carry a frame pump (well I could, but it looks stupid) I pack a Lezyne Road Drive mini. A hose is hidden in the handle of the pump and it screws out so you can screw it onto to the tube valve. I used on of these last month. I pack a couple of 12g c02's, but these things will get your tire up to a rideable psi I think.

I was watching the Movie 'Finding Forester' and it shows Sean Connery's character inflating a tire with a mini pump that has a hose like the Lezyne mini pumps. Wish I knew what it was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,635 Posts
Knowing how

Dinosaur said:
I used to have the same problem. When using a frame pump, after attaching the pump valve to the tube, put the valve in the 12 o'clock position and hold the pump with both hands and inflate the tire. The tire/wheel will bounce around but it will not harm the valve stem.
Yup. Simple as that.
 

·
eRacer
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
Dinosaur said:
I used to have the same problem. When using a frame pump, after attaching the pump valve to the tube, put the valve in the 12 o'clock position and hold the pump with both hands and inflate the tire. The tire/wheel will bounce around but it will not harm the valve stem.
+1 for the same technique.
Good/Simple advice.
I never really thought about this until I saw the OP and Dinosaur's reply.
Yeah! That's how I do it!
John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,493 Posts
Do what Mr. Grumpy and Danl1 suggest: If you leave the wheel on the bike, then lean it against something and hook your thumb around the tire while holding the chuck on the valve. The valve should be at the 12 o'clock position. For even better luck, remove the wheel from the frame; then there's less mass holding the bike still and the wheel will follow your jerky pumping motions with less stress on the valve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tearing Valves

I have been cycling for many decades. It seems to me that the valves rip more easily than they used to. Maybe I am just getting old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CO2 Inflaters

Snakebit said:
Another reason I started using CO2 to inflate my new tubes.
I have a question about CO2 inflators.
What size CO2 cartridge is necessary to bring a 700X23 tire to full pressure?

Thanks
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,916 Posts
interestingly enough, about 2 years ago I posted some information given to me by a MAJOR bike manufacturer about a HUGE problem with chinese tubes and HUGE numbers of warranties regarding the same. Everyone told me I was crazy. I would HIGHLY recommend NOT buying tubes made in China, Taiwan are ok....China, not until they get quality control.

also I think a 16 gram CO2 takes a 700C up to about 120
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
daniell said:
I have a question about CO2 inflators.
What size CO2 cartridge is necessary to bring a 700X23 tire to full pressure?

Thanks
How many pounds of pressure could I expect from a 12 gram cartridge?

Believe it or not, I remember when all of the bicycle tubes were made in America.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,916 Posts
I think 12 grams is 90?

edit: I JUST bought a CO2 inflater yesterday and was reading the instructions.

threaded cart's are EXPENSIVE....from a buck 20 to 3+ a pop
 

·
eRacer
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
daniell said:
I have a question about CO2 inflators.
What size CO2 cartridge is necessary to bring a 700X23 tire to full pressure?

Thanks
daniell:
I think the 16g Cartridges will fill a 700x23 Tire to 100-110 psi.

Innovations 16g Threaded CO2 Cartridges
View attachment 160957

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69,526 Posts
daniell said:
I have a question about CO2 inflators.
What size CO2 cartridge is necessary to bring a 700X23 tire to full pressure?

Thanks
I'm a recreational rider so proper inflation was never critical to me, just getting home to the floor pump. The frame pump scarred my bike's finish, ripped stems out and basically sapped my energy on a ride so I changed to CO2 and never regretted it. I used cartriges from LBS and also from Walmart. I think you can buy threaded or unthreaded at Wallyworld.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top