Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
tektro r559 - what brake levers should i get?

Hi everyone,

I'm struggling a bit with the issue of improving from my stock v brakes to caliper ones.

Unfortunately I can't buy shimano because i ride a dahon vitesse d7, which requires long reach calipers, i've been visiting a blog where this guy advises getting road brake levers for caliper brakes.
As i'm not interested in switching from flat hand bar to bullhorn, it's not much help.
Also, there's not much info about tektro brakes on their website so i don't even know if they're short or long pull.

:mad2:
So... the question is, could anyone help me figuring out what flat hand bar levers can i buy to go with these calipers?

much appreciated,
Happy new year everyone!:)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
what's the problem with your v-brakes? If you have poor braking with the stock pads, you might try a pad upgrade to something like Koolstop salmon pads first, and see if that gets you the improvement you seek. It would be a lot cheaper and easier.

If you decide to change everything out, several companies, including Shimano and Tektro, make suitable levers. Just google "flat-bar levers for caliper brakes." Calipers and cantilevers (the old style) have the same cable pull. Linear-pull (v-brakes) requires the lever to pull more cable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's just poor quality brakes, they get unbalanced real easy.
i've tried that search already but rookie as i am, i feel like i'm not making the wisest choice...
any models you would suggest?

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i have tektros on two vintage bikes that are both 700c conversions. i have the shorter 539 on the front and the long 559 on the rear. i bought them from harris cyclery. here's one, my '76 moto gr grocery getter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats a beauty man! congrats on your restoration, i have a benson myself... but yeah for bullhorn its easier to find it :/

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
my bikes have drop bars.

here are bullhorns:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have stock Tektro V brakes on a Felt QX65 commuter. When I upgraded the group to Tiagra (hand me down from another bike) I fitted 4600 flat bar shifters and brakes, and they work just fine.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
it's just poor quality brakes, they get unbalanced real easy.
i've tried that search already but rookie as i am, i feel like i'm not making the wisest choice...
any models you would suggest?
Have you tried all the things that can be done to keep them centered? Linear-pull brakes can be a little tricky to adjust, but they generally work well, even the inexpensive ones. It seems like a very large hassle and expense to change them out for calipers. Are you even sure that you can put calipers on that bike? Are the fork crown and rear bridge drilled for that?

I'd make a great effort to get the existing brakes to work first, if you haven't done that yet.

Repair Help Articles | Park Tool

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, i did try it, and i know it can be expensive but it's been ages since i upgraded anything on my bike. and it's only 54€ both brakes, not bad at all
in what concerns tetra, yes they do fit as they have 70mm reach and are nutted, that far i've come already.
the struggle is the flat bar levers..

JCavilla, thanks very much for your time and effort to help...

blackfrancois , yeah, my mistake, i knew that... is that one yours aswel?

Have you tried all the things that can be done to keep them centered? Linear-pull brakes can be a little tricky to adjust, but they generally work well, even the inexpensive ones. It seems like a very large hassle and expense to change them out for calipers. Are you even sure that you can put calipers on that bike? Are the fork crown and rear bridge drilled for that?

I'd make a great effort to get the existing brakes to work first, if you haven't done that yet.

Repair Help Articles | Park Tool

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that's the ones i'd love to get but it's not possible on this bike.. on my other one, might be possible...
I have stock Tektro V brakes on a Felt QX65 commuter. When I upgraded the group to Tiagra (hand me down from another bike) I fitted 4600 flat bar shifters and brakes, and they work just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My bad, what doesn't fit is the brakes, they don't have enough reach as the bike has mud guards...
I'm sure you know your bike better than I do, but I am at a loss to understand why they won't fit a folding bike? Do they get in the way when you collapse it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts