Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, I have an existing external usb drive (WD 500 gB) formatted fat32 (needed it like that for old computer) and would like to break off a 100 gig for a partition NTFS so i can create a disc image for two newer Win 7 machines in case of catastrophic failure.

Looking at the volumes in Disk management, the option to shrink volume is not opened to me as it is on the other drives.

Is there a secure way to do this without risking ANY loss of data on the drive? Or should I scrape another 100 bucks together and get another external USB to use for this. The advantage to that would be it could be stored offsite.

Another question, if I made a disk image now, and in the future had to restore from that image, would the computer be EXACTLY as it is now?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I'm pretty sure you'll need third party software, if you don't want to lose info already on the drive. I haven't done that for years, with drives so cheap these days. Partition Magic used to do this, don't know if they are even still in business.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used partition magic for years, I probably still have the disks. It just makes me nervous to try it on my primary back-up. I might just get a 320 gB usb...seems the least risky. I am wondering about disk imaging too...will it image ALL the disks connected to the computer of just the primary (boot-drive)

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
I'd just buy another external drive... As for a back-up image, personally I never do that. In the event of a failure it's best to just reinstall/reformat with all the latest versions of whatever software you have with the latest drivers etc. It takes more time, but you rid yourself of older versions of stuff and the resultant junk left in the registry etc. Just my 2 cents, opinions will vary.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up another external 320 gig hdd for 50 bucks, formatted it and repartitioned it with two partitions. I am 3/4 done with image from my laptop and this (desktop) is next. That way the drive can go into the safe deposit box at the bank and I can put these two back EXACTLY as they are now, which is what I need in case of disaster. As for software, updating all my software requires money as well as time. I JUST went through multiple installs on my old laptop and do NOT chose to do that again if I don't have to.as for data files, I am anal about backing up in triplicate so thhis will provide a base for the updated data file in case!

Thanks.....Ascii, thanks, I had looked at that, but still there is something about mucking with my primary back-up (which contains some files which are not found anywhere else right now., I will be pasting them into the new drive as well........ then off to the vault. I have 8 years of business records including all of my scanned incoming invoices and statements and yearly spreadsheets and tax info (forms etc) I'm sure you understand my fears...LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts